Menu

I might be the first one to do this this year....

I hate to do this even before Halloween, but I need Xmas help. My problem: DS11.

I have a few sports-related gear-y ideas, and books are always on the list as are a few clothing things. (In fact, I think DS actually has a preference here: lately he has been hinting that he wants brand-name sneakers. I will resist, I think, because I can't start down that road just yet. But i think it is kind of cute.)

And while zoo memberships and fancy things like snow boarding lessons or trip to water parts are great, they don't quite have the "wow lets open this up and play" effect that makes Christmas vacation so much fun. What I am trying to find for my 11.5 year old is a great, non-electronic TOY, or other gift that will just be fun and a surprise and just what he never knew he wanted. We have enough Legos for DS11 (though a LEgo store would never be enough for DS9). WE have science kits, too. So what is the best toy ever for a science-loving young guy who loves to read, play sports, read comic books and just goof around?

My 12yo got the biggest kick last year out of his "make your own volcano" kit that I got at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. They also have kits for rockets and pinewood derby cars, etc...

Remote control car, maybe? (I don't recommend the helicopters, their lifespan is about 10 minutes, if that).

I can't really think of a TOY, though...

Ds always finds things on thinkgeek.

Oh this is great! I'd forgotten about them!

I just found my 12 year old zombie slippers, periodic table building blocks, a wall light (lightsaber) that is controlled by a remote, and gummy candy shaped like various tongues. Ha! This is gonna be great: I can't wait to see his face! (I love getting Christmas taken care of early.)