Menu

Audio version of Moby Dick?

The one from Naxos is also quite bad. Over the top bad theatricality.

The one that I have read very good reviews of is the reading by Frank Muller. I have never been able to find a preview on-line.

Our library system has it. Something to add to my list.

Bill

Hi Lisa!!

YES! And best of all it is on sale now at audible.com. My ds and I listened to it last year, and what I love about the audio recording is how his narration style changes with the prose. I went into it not knowing that large, huge, erm...whale sized chunks of the book are tedious description of whales and whaling. It would be a tough read, but the audio was captivating.

Give yourself a while to listen to it -- it is 24 hours long!!

Moby Dick

Also, there is a new book out about reading Moby Dick that you might want to look at after reading it. Here's a review that KarenAnne sent me last week.

Why Read Moby Dick?

Have fun with it!

Orson Wells reading the opening lines is very cool indeed. But as I listened I started thinking of just how long the audio version of the entire book would be if he were to have recorded the whole thing with..........all.............those dramatic ...........pauses:D

I...would...make...the...time...to....listen :D

Bill

I finally found an audio portion of Frank Muller reading Moby Dick on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKPyDgdMK94&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He is a very competent reader, and there is no false theatricality, but the reading is "rushed." Why?

It is the anti-Orson Wells. Unfortunately at this pace it is difficult to savor the genius of the work. It is the best (complete) recording I've heard yet, but not ideal.

Bill

Have you heard the Anthony Heald recording? I really appreciated his performance, not in comparison to other Moby Dick readers but in comparison to the many other audio books I've listened to. I probably picked his out in the audible.com line up of Moby Dicks after comparing the sample recordings of all the different versions. It is so fascinating how different each reader is, and how much time difference there is in the final product!

Did you know the San Diego Opera will be doing an operatic production of Moby Dick? In February, in fact. It is odd, though, there is no Ishmael -- the character is called Greenhorn.

Moby Dick, the opera!

Have you heard the Anthony Heald recording?

No. Is there a preview anywhere?

It is so fascinating how different each reader is, and how much time difference there is in the final product!

That's for sure.

Did you know the San Diego Opera will be doing an operatic production of Moby Dick? In February, in fact. It is odd, though, there is no Ishmael -- the character is called Greenhorn.

Moby Dick, the opera!

I had heard it was coming, but no Ishmael? Weird!

Bill

Brilliant stuff. I've always believed such intesne prose (ok, *pausing*) is much wasted on 9th graders and such. These young folks too often grow up believing there is nothing there for them.

As a special treat for you...here's Orson Wells giving the Father Mapples sermon from the John Houston version of Moby Dick.

Bill

• 3 months later...