Menu

Spelling

AimeeM

I have heard the raves about Apples and Pears; but it doesn't work well for us. I would love something like Spelling Wisdom - but I wonder how well a studied dictation method would work for a dyslexic (with auditory processing problems; visual processing is her strong suit).

What are some spelling programs that teach children in context? By that I mean, spelling programs that (like Spelling Wisdom) teach it to be used in writing, not in isolation; and that teaches spelling rules (something I think Spelling Wisdom doesn't have)?

AAS, WRTR, SWR, Barton, Wilson all have the rules you're looking for. Freed in "Right Brained Children in a Left-Brained World" has interesting suggestions for spelling. Dictation for us is torture. It helps, definitely, but it's still torture. I tried to do studied dictation with her this year, but it flopped.

From what I understand (talking to the admin at our local school for dyslexic children) Barton and AAS depend on a child's auditory skills. It assumes (as does much OG curricula) that the dyslexic child must develop (or has) good auditory skills, since their ability to *look* and *learn* isn't as strong. It is the opposite with Autumn. I need to steer away from anything auditory and I really do not want just a spelling program (which, I believe, Barton and AAS are); I want something that teaches spelling as a whole to reading and writing. I will check out Wilson, WRTR and SWR... as I'm not sure I have heard of those. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me what WRTR and SWR stand for?

AAS, WRTR, SWR, Barton, Wilson all have the rules you're looking for. Freed in "Right Brained Children in a Left-Brained World" has interesting suggestions for spelling. Dictation for us is torture. It helps, definitely, but it's still torture. I tried to do studied dictation with her this year, but it flopped.

You could try spelling plus and spelling dictation by Susan Anthony.

They use rules and the dictation book works on the words in sentences. It focuses on the most frequent 1,000 words, which is a good thing for a struggling student.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/014528/2872db89dd600cbd325d8fa0

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/004554/2872db89dd600cbd325d8fa0