Menu

Home cardio machines

I want to buy a cardio machine for mostly myself to use at home but possibly my DH and DC. I had planned on an elliptical because that's what I used at the gym but I'm open to other ideas. I'm not familiar with the other machines. I want the biggest workout/exercise bang for my bucks. Does anyone have opinions on which machines are best for home users? They seem really expensive even used. I am short and my DH is about 5'9 so not super tall either.

I had been leaning towards a used one for about $500 but I've seen several decent rated new ones for about the same on "sale" for around $500 too. I am supposed to go look at a new Schwinn 420 tonight.

While I was at the used sports store, I saw a stair stepper. The salesman spoke very highly of them and said it would give me a better workout. This was a machine that was originally $1,000 on sale for about $450. It's cheaper than the elliptical and probably a nicer machine if that's what we want. I thought maybe my DD with CP could use the stair stepper for PT but maybe it is too big for her. She's 7 and small for her age.

The treadmills were cheaper but I don't feel I can watch tv or read while running so I think I'll get bored or wimp out and walk so I can pay attention to my distractions! DD shouldn't run so this is out for her.

Or, exercise bikes? I've never used them. They are cheaper and I wonder why. Are they not as good? My DD cannot pedal so she couldn't benefit from that either unless it was super easy.

Finally, while I looked up stair steppers, I saw mini stair steppers that look like just pedals to push. Does anyone have one of those? They are fairly cheap and maybe I could get that for DD instead of the big one and stick to the elliptical for me and DH. They don't get super reviews but possibly they'd be fine for a lightweight child.

Well, if you really want to save $$ go for a Nordic Track. You can pick up near new ones for under $100.

DH used to have a body bugg thingie......and I would sometimes use it although I am horrible at sticking to a workout schedule, or any workout for that matter.

But he borrowed the Insanity DVDs and I tried them and used the body bugg to see how many calories I was burning. Then I tried the NordicTrack and the calorie expenditure was almost the same if I did it at the right level.

Anyway, I picked up a virtually unused NoridicTrack Sequoia model at a yard sale for $15. I love it. It is quiet enough to watch TV while exercising if you wish, and is a great cardio workout. My treadmill gives me half of the calorie burn per minute.

It is also compact and can be folded down very easily.

Dawn

Well, if you really want to save $$ go for a Nordic Track. You can pick up near new ones for under $100.

DH used to have a body bugg thingie......and I would sometimes use it although I am horrible at sticking to a workout schedule, or any workout for that matter.

But he borrowed the Insanity DVDs and I tried them and used the body bugg to see how many calories I was burning. Then I tried the NordicTrack and the calorie expenditure was almost the same if I did it at the right level.

Anyway, I picked up a virtually unused NoridicTrack Sequoia model at a yard sale for $15. I love it. It is quiet enough to watch TV while exercising if you wish, and is a great cardio workout. My treadmill gives me half of the calorie burn per minute.

It is also compact and can be folded down very easily.

Dawn

:iagree: