Menu

Get Out of My Life, but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the mall?

To whomever here that recommended this book by Anthony Wolf:

THANK YOU!!!!!

Very enlightening. I'm already a third of the way in and have found it so revealing. Looking forward to the rest.

For those of you with kids entering those teen years, and acting it out, I recommend it - at least the first couple of chapters, anyway! I suspect the rest of the book will be just as helpful.

Sorry I can't remember who it was that mentioned this title, I can't even remember what thread it was in. But again, thank you!

I missed the first recommendation, also, but I've now requested it from my library.

Thanks! I definitely need it! I often find myself thinking, "What just happened?!" :001_huh:

I am not speaking to you because you made me do dishes last night even though I was really tired because I had procrastinated about it for several hours. Oh, I need $85 today for my dance costume.

Yes, the teen years go back and forth between, "Get out of my life, woman!" to "MOMMY!" If you can just discern whether at that moment you are "woman" or "MOMMY!" and keep your sense of humor about it, it is quite helpful! It *is* often quite funny how quick the shift can be.

I am not speaking to you because you made me do dishes last night even though I was really tired because I had procrastinated about it for several hours. Oh, I need $85 today for my dance costume.

:lol:

Or, "I'm at an age now where what you say just doesn't impact my life anymore. By the way, I'm looking forward to mother-daughter day tomorrow. Where are we going for lunch?" She's 13. :glare:

It is an exhausting back and forth between "I love my mommy and am strongly attached" versus "I am trying to figure out how to grow up and be independent."

My biggest problem is remembering the logical clarity of what's really happening while enduring the emotional roller coaster. Blech. I do not enjoy wearing the bullseye. But now I better understand what's going on. I keep trying to remember if I was like that when I was fourteen.... surely not... ;)

LOVE THAT BOOK!

It was recommended to me hundreds of years ago when DD who is now 31 was 16!!!!!!!

There is another one (probably by the same author) -- the title goes something like:

BUT JOSHUA'S PARENTS LET HIM STAY UP ALL NIGHT!

Both books normalize to a certain extent the behavior we see in teens.

Guess I shouldn't have gotten rid of my copies, huh?:glare: