Menu

Bright kids who just don't do well on tests...

Other than review well before implementing tests, what else can parents and teachers do to help those students who just don't do well proving their knowledge this way? How can we prepare them for higher level education up ahead that will require tests and testing?

I know about teaching to the test, but that isn't always possible. The real issue is a matter of not only retention, but recall under pressure.

Your thoughts? :bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

One of my children had difficulties due to his feelings of time pressure and not knowing how much time he had left. Calculating that on a clock took away much of his time. A silent timer that showed him how much time is left helped. http://www.therapro.com/SilentAudible-Visual-Time-Timer-P321310.aspx (It comes in a wrist watch version too.)

We've also done practice tests to review the test taking procedures. Filling in little bubbles without making stray marks and erasing completely matters on standardized tests.

It also helps to know test taking strategy for the particular test. For example, some tests subtract for wrong answers to penalize guessing while others don't.

Edited by merry gardens

Test taking involves utilizing skills that are entirely separate from the content of what is being tested.

I would look at getting practice tests. Use them not for the purpose of practicing test content, but practicing those test-taking skills, such as following directions common on tests, staying calm & completing work under the designated time constraint, quickly switching gears from one topic to the next, etc.

Even though we homeschool I do think it is valuable to work on these skills once in a while. They will come up if the child continues academic study beyond homeschool.

Lucinda, are these tests for co-op classes, for things you're teaching her, or standardized tests?

Most any tests at all. She did just fine on her achievement tests, but whenever there are regular tests given during the school year she doesn't score nearly as high as I know for a fact she is capable of scoring. She is able to answer and discuss verybally and prove knowledge through written papers though.

I've heard many times that there are students who don't do well with tests even though they are bright, capable students, but I've never understood why that is so. If there is any way to help her with this issue now in her logic stage (middle school), I want to do it. I want to enroll her in private school for high school and I know that in that setting, as well as college, there will be many tests to undergo.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Test taking involves utilizing skills that are entirely separate from the content of what is being tested.

I would look at getting practice tests. Use them not for the purpose of practicing test content, but practicing those test-taking skills, such as following directions common on tests, staying calm & completing work under the designated time constraint, quickly switching gears from one topic to the next, etc.

Even though we homeschool I do think it is valuable to work on these skills once in a while. They will come up if the child continues academic study beyond homeschool.

Great points, zenjenn. If you were to look for practice tests, where would you go?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm in the same situation. My son just started going to high school and has done horribly on tests. So I'm all :bigear: to see what's out there to help teach testing. I actually have it on my radar to look to see what's out there this week. My son doesn't understand multiple choice test especially.

Sometimes the issue with school tests is that the kids know the information but can't think through it the way the tests want them to (thinking beyond fill-in-the-blank to discriminate and eliminate). That's definitely something you teach. Are these tests you are giving or tests in a co-op setting? Often teachers will teach to the test, and it may be you need to do a bit more of that. Also it's helpful to go back through the test with her and talk about the questions she missed and why she missed them and what strategies would have helped her in that situation. So then you're distinguishing whether the issue is how well she covered the material that was going to be tested (a study, reading, note-taking issue) or whether it's a test-taking issue.

Sometimes the issue with school tests is that the kids know the information but can't think through it the way the tests want them to (thinking beyond fill-in-the-blank to discriminate and eliminate). That's definitely something you teach. Are these tests you are giving or tests in a co-op setting? No. I'm talking about tests given for all subjects we cover at home. Often teachers will teach to the test, and it may be you need to do a bit more of that. I am finding that this occurs even with subjects that have review guides and chapter summaries that we've gone over. It also occurs with math, after she's done well with the weekly lessons, then bombs on the chapter test. Also it's helpful to go back through the test with her and talk about the questions she missed and why she missed them and what strategies would have helped her in that situation. Yes, I am doing that this year more than ever. Often times, I see answers that are missed because of carelessness, which causes me to think that she might be more stressed during a test than she was with the regular lessons. I've thought this over carefully too, and I'm not aware of me coming across in a way that would cause her more stress over a test. We've discussed also how tests are merely a measure of how much we've learned so we can know where to go back and review...yet she still seems to be a totally different student at test time. So then you're distinguishing whether the issue is how well she covered the material that was going to be tested (a study, reading, note-taking issue) or whether it's a test-taking issue. Most often times we do go over the review well and she knows the material, yet for the test she has trouble.

Along with my highlighted comments above, I've already pinpointed several things I can do to help her out and we are doing them currently. It's the other test taking issues that I would like to learn more about how to deal with.

Blessings,

Lucinda