Menu

I hope this can be a nice thread. RC/EO/High Church tradition

Okay I really struggled with what to title this. I have a question that is rather touchy, but I know the Hive can provide some wonderful thoughts. Please play nice! :D

If a Priest is arrested for child p*rnography, what should be done with him in the time between arrest and conviction? What if there is no conviction? How should the church handle this type of situation?

Please this is not a bag on the RC thread. But from this point in time forward how should this be handled.

I did not open this up to all religious traditions, because I really wanted to get a feel for the issue in church traditions that are set up to move a priest from one location to another.

Moderators, please feel free to delete if things get testy. :D

If a Priest is arrested for child p*rnography, what should be done with him in the time between arrest and conviction? What if there is no conviction? How should the church handle this type of situation?

Supposed you own a widget center for children and one of your employees is arrested for you-know-what. What do you do? If the person works around children, you have a legitmate concern as an employer. Most likely suspend them from their duties or move them to a position that does not work with children.

Same thing for a priest. Suspend them from their duties or move them to a position that does not have any interaction with children until the situation is resolved one way or another.

The Bishop will suspend him temporarily. Then there will be an investigation by the Church, culminating in spiritual court, when they will decide if he should be suspended for a certain period of time, or not, or defrocked. The court will take into account the investigation by the civil authorities, and the priest's repentance or lack thereof. They will also consider where to place him and whether he may need therapy or treatment. The court has representatives of bishops and clergy. I am not sure if there are any lay people on the court, such as psychologists, I just do not know about that, sorry.

There is a whole set process for how these things are to be handled.

This is a brief summation:

THE NORMS OF THE MOTU PROPRIO

“SACRAMENTORUM SANCTITATIS TUTELA†(2001)

HISTORICAL INTRODUCTION

(Prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith)

The basis is from 1917, and has had to evolve over the years as it initially only had to do with the confessional. But, yeah - innocent until proven guilty - ALL parties.

The entire evolution of the appropriate documents ("Normae de gravioribus delictis") may be seen here.

Asta

Well he's been arrested in your scenario. So, one should not "close the cassock" and obstruct the authorities in their search for whether or not the person is guilty.

I think what sometimes gets lost in these discussions is that progress in handling the problem can be noted. Here's a link to show you how the overall issue is handled in one US archdiocese nowadays. Click around. Quite a change...