Menu

Singapore challenging word problems

acurtis75

I just bought this as a supplement for dd6. For those of you who are already using it, what's the best way to implement it. We are happy mus users but she I flying though it and I wanted to add something a little more challenging. We are halfway in to Delta book which covers division. I looked through the books and selected grade 3 because it looked challenging but not too far ahead.

We used it as a supplement as well. For a while I used it at the end of each chapter, then we switched and did it once a week instead of regular math, then we started doing 2-3 problems a day along with our regular math. All of those ways worked- we switched it around depending on our schedule. I think you could fit it in however you like. We loved it- the challenge was great! I think it has really helped for math contests as well.

We do it sporadically... sometimes everyday, sometimes not at all for a few weeks. Just whenever we feel like it. :) Our regular math program (MM) has good word problems, but DS LOVES word problems, and I wanted more experience with the really challenging ones.

I usually have been going over the example problems first, then we'd dive into the regular problems, followed by the challenge problems. We don't usually do all the regular problems, but I try to do all the challenge problems. Last time we used it, I had him figure out the example problems before looking at the solutions. I read somewhere (maybe at the beginning of the book?) that that is how you're supposed to use them. He did great. Now that he understands the basics of using the bar models, he's able to extrapolate to harder problems. Success! :D We started at level 2 and now are using level 3. I think you can get the idea of the bar models from level 3 without doing level 2. Just make sure YOU look at the example problems and see how you're supposed to use the bar models, and also look at threads posted here in the past where people have explained how to do some harder problems with the bar models. It's definitely "different"!

I've done a lot of math in my life but don't remember anything like the bar models. It's definately a different approach. We did a couple of problems yesterday. Some she understood on her own & some I had to hel her think through the process of figuring out what the question was asking. One she understood what he was solving for she didn't have any trouble with the actual math so I think we're okay with the level we chose.

I've done some Singapore Challenging Word Problems with Button; but sometimes they are confusing to him in ways that I don't think are necessary/ideal. At any rate, I've switched to Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math and that's much more fun for him. We're also moving through Delta, and I plan to add Life of Fred soon.

:bigear:

The way they work the problems is odd at times and so is the way they word them. We're going to try for a while and see how it goes. When do you plan to start life of Fred? I was debating whether to start it now or after we get to Epsilon.

:iagree:

and I'd thought to start Fred when we hit the long division in Delta (we just started it, and are on lesson 4 or 5), a la the suggestion in WTM, but don't know if that should be single- or multiple- digit "long division"... at any rate, we're still working on the details of multiple-digit multiplication; Button's error rate is a bit high on those problems, and following some recent suggestions here I'm pulling in Math Mammoth's mult-digit multiplication worktext to supplement (after he forgot his mult-digit addition and subtraction while we were cementing the multiplication facts, I've started a policy of a few review problems each morning; at the moment I do multiplication review most days and addition/subtraction in between). I'm thinking now that once we hit the mult-digit division, I'll similarly supplement with MM, and if we need to spend a while on reinforcing all the mechanics I'd bring Fred in for fun. I have Fred, but haven't really looked it over yet ... it sounds like you thought it might be better to wrap Delta up first? -- I have heard of a few children getting frustrated by Fred if their skills weren't solid yet ...

:bigear:, as always!

I'd thought to start Fred when we hit the long division in Delta (we just started it, and are on lesson 4 or 5), a la the suggestion in WTM, but don't know if that should be single- or multiple- digit "long division"
Long division with muti-digit divisors. Fractions and D&P are designed to be done without the use of calculators. Edited by nmoira

I was thinking the life of Fred would be more of a fun thing. I didn't' remember there being a recommended starting place in wtm so I'll have to review that. I probably need to go look at the Fred books again to because for some reason I had in my head that we were waiting to get to fractions not long division which is why I was planning to wait until we started epsilon.