Menu

list of books to go with different character traits?

caedmyn

I am not sure of a booklist but have you heard of Character Begins at Home by Sue Pearson and Karen Olsen? It has around 20 traits like that and list book suggestions along with suggested activities to do. Some of the traits include trustworthiness, problem solving, cooperation, personal best, effort, etc. They have a book for the classroom and one for home. Or perhaps search LifeSkills by Susan Kovalika and you may hit a site that lists books with the traits (that is what the book is essentially LifeSkills). Good luck!:)

Oops, meant to put the website here : http://www.books4educ.com

Edited by threeofakind
Follow this link and you will find the book: www.books4educ.com

Everytime I link a particular thing I like for character training, even when someone ASKS for ideas, I get banned...so this mystery thing has stories, character kids to relate to the character/virtue you are teaching, catchy phrases/definitions/antonyms, activities to teach it, ideas for putting it to action, and is just a great program overall that takes very little time or prep, but is highly effective. You'll have to click my blog link in my siggy b/c the banning is getting old. :glare: And it's unjust and without reason (if you've seen my previous posts I've made, you'll know I was sharing about a great find I'd started using in my own home. I'm still in love with it to this day! and it's on sale this month and next, but I'm afraid if I give you the code, I'll get banned...again. Once on my blog, just click the tag "character training" and it should bring up a post or two about Raising Virtuous Kids) It's been a whole lotta fun! And hint, hint...it's linked in my siggy too but I tell about it and review it on my blog.

I was about to say Beautiful Feet, too. It's more than a booklist, however... apparently, there are Bible links and discussion topics to go along with each book. I don't have it but am still considering it.

The primary level includes:

A Time of Wonder

The Runaway Bunny

Brave Irene

The Clown of God

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Miss Rumphius

Owl Moon

Obadiah the Bold

Rachel and Obadiah

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

When I Was Young in the Mountains

I was about to say Beautiful Feet, too. It's more than a booklist, however... apparently, there are Bible links and discussion topics to go along with each book. I don't have it but am still considering it.

The primary level includes:

A Time of Wonder

The Runaway Bunny

Brave Irene

The Clown of God

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Miss Rumphius

Owl Moon

Obadiah the Bold

Rachel and Obadiah

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

When I Was Young in the Mountains

This looks interesting. I wish they gave more information about the guides themselves, like what character traits they cover and how many lessons it includes.

The Book of Virtues for Young People, by Bill Bennett, has poems and short stories arranged by these character traits: self-discipline, compassion, responsibility, friendship, courage, work, honesty, faith (not all are Christian) and loyalty.

Terri

We just got this book, we are just reading the poetry right now, the kids love it! Some of the poems are very funny!