Menu

HOD: Started Bigger Hearts this week!!

oneddmanybooks

I am so pleased and happy to find HOD and I owe a big thanks to the Hive! I think one of my first encounters with HOD came from one of those catalog threads. ;) I got my beautiful HOD catalog and thought that it had some great resources in it. But for some reason, it took me a little while to realize what a great fit HOD is for us. We have been using some of the first week online sample. I love the questions Carrie put in the Bible Study section and that it uses Proverbs. I love the poetry and hymns. I think we are going to love DITHOR, but we haven’t started it yet. We were already using Singapore math and R&S English. We are enjoying the history and science. Even though I’ve been sick some of this week, we’ve still schooled every day and enjoyed it.

My dd isn’t used to doing a lot of writing, so I will use a mixture of doing things orally (esp. R&S), being her scribe, and of course her doing some of the writing. I hope to gradually increase the amount of writing she is used to doing in one day. She is a pretty voracious reader, so I will be giving her extra books to read.

I especially appreciate how age-appropriate the guide is. I only have one child, and I am so happy that I don’t have to skip over a lot of things that are inappropriate (as I have had to do in other programs).

My guide and some books are supposed to arrive tomorrow!

This is our first year with HOD too. We are doing Preparing and Beyond. We are LOVING both. I can't believe I used to think I wouldn't like a planned curriculum. We moved just a few weeks ago, and I chose HOD for simplicity, but we are loving this year more than any other! I am already looking to next year and thinking of having my high schooler use REV 2 REV slightly modified.

Glad you all are so happy too!

This is our first year with HOD also. We are using Preparing with my two youngest children. I LOVE it. The boys are having so much fun with it. We just made Egyptian cartouches from salt dough. They also love Write and Draw through History. My boys have found a love for drawing that they never had before.

Wish I had found HOD a long time ago!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

This is our first year with HOD also. We are using Preparing with my two youngest children. I LOVE it. The boys are having so much fun with it. We just made Egyptian cartouches from salt dough. They also love Write and Draw through History. My boys have found a love for drawing that they never had before.

Wish I had found HOD a long time ago!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

About the drawing...dd got inspired by the picture (in the catalog) of the girl standing at an easel and she just HAD to paint twice this past week! :001_smile:

I just bought the CTC TM and notebooking pages off of someone so I can dream about next year :)

:D I was just thinking recently that I could start to collect the books for Preparing! I have a couple of them already. Of course I'll have to hide them in my bedroom closet or somewhere so dd won't start reading them.

We just finished week 8 and it's going really well. I think it has helped our consistency. We did the same things but more hit or miss. HOD keeps me fro putting something on the back burner.

Yes, I think it will really improve our consistency too. It sounds like many posters are at week 8, which means I should get lots of good answers to any questions I have! :001_smile:

My 11 yo is doing CTC and loves it. There has been no problems getting her to do her work this year. She really likes the layout with the boxes and generally gets started on all of the "I" boxes on her own. She did MFW last year and while I prefer the layout of MFW it was not what works best for dd. I actually bought both Preparing and CTC manuals to see what would be a better fit and I'm glad I did CTC. She seems ready for the work level in it plus she really wanted to do Ancient History. I did not care for the Dinosaurs of Eden book at all but have liked all the others. I need my twins to get old enough for Preparing because it sure looks like fun. I am not using all of CTC resources either. I'm subbing Elemental Science and I'm not using either the grammar or writing recommended. Dd was already doing well in GWG and she does weekly writing classes I don't need to add to it. I didn't get DITHOR but I'm wondering if I should have. We haven't done much in the way of lit study this year but we've been so busy I'm not sure I could fit more in.

I love the notebooking with CTC. At the end of the year my dd is going to have a gorgeous notebook to show of her work for the year.

So CTC question-is it possible to make it old earth friendly?

I've been wondering about this myself. I asked on the HOD Yahoo board, and got some good information. Apparently, if you're willing to tweak just a bit, it is very doable. I did notice in the sample at the HOD website, on Unit 1, Lesson 1 of CTC, there is a note for the Waring CD stating, "Note for parents: If you are not of the young earth philosophy, you may wish for your student to omit track 2." So obviously Carrie has planned to some degree for those of use who do not follow YEC. Preparing and CTC both present some YEC, though there is more in CTC, and it is pretty impossible to avoid it entirely, but you can tone it down and present alternative (OEC) views as valid.

Preparing has you skip the evolution chapter in "A Child's History of the World", so you could use that anyway and present OEC. The dinosaur books in both manuals present YEC. I suppose you could skip those altogether or replace them with a traditional dinosaur text. The bible study book in CTC ("Genesis: Finding our Roots") is definitely not OEC-friendly. But there are enough excellent Bible studies out there to replace that fairly easily. Waring's history CDs for independent study ("What in the World?") are very YEC, but the later tracks are fine. The Apologia Zoology has some YEC content, but it is not as pushy as some other texts.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for answering. I think I will get the Preparing guide in the spring to preview it. This is really my big sticking point with using HOD from here on out. I've even thought of crating my own " boxes" schedule using WTM recs, HOD poetry, activities, science, and my CLE math and LA. I'm just really drawn to those boxes:D