Menu

Wake Forest and William & Mary

SWB teaches at William and Mary.

WFU is a lac part of the ACC which means basketball excitement. It's located in Winston-Salem, NC which is not a college town. The campus has a large piece of land is somewhat isolated if you don't have a car. The older dorm rooms are notoriously small.

Well, I went to William and Mary about a hundred years ago. It was very difficult to get in from out of state at the time, but not as highly competitive for in-state students. I liked the school and the community, though summers were brutal, both for heat and traffic. Did your dd have any specific questions?

My dad played basketball and baseball for Wake Forest a VERY long time ago. Back when basketball shorts were short, and they were first televising games. (Apparently that was fairly distracting for the players). And my mom went to William and Mary--but only until she was asked to leave for continuing to fail her major classes. She was probably spending too much time chasing Dad at the time.

This is probably not helpful.

Both schools have great reputations, as far as I've heard. Dh went to W&M for his MBA. His professors were available and engaging, for the most part. It's a lovely campus in a nice-sized town.

Have visited both of these. Wake Forest struck us as being very odd-- we saw no racial diversity at all, and honestly every guy on campus was wearing a polo shirt and every girl was wearing a sundress and heels. It didn't feel 'right' to us.

Loved William and Mary... had a good vibe, town is walkable... from what we observed there were all kinds of students. Liked the historic feel.

My daughter was accepted at Wake Forest though she never had the opportunity to visit. She applied based on the strength of their need-based financial aid and their Latin/Classics program. This was not a school that did much communicating; her application was never acknowledged and she was quite surprised to get that acceptance come April 1.

This school offered the best financial aid package of any of her eight acceptances; however, I felt that some of their advertising as regards financial aid was deceptive. Feel free to ask me for more details.

Regards,

Kareni

That's not true. It wasnt a cake walk for in state students to get in at all. They took the top students, no one else. But I do think in state students were given preference over out of state as it is a state school.

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I didn't say it was a cake walk. It is most certainly a very competitive school, but not AS difficult to get into for in-state students as out-of-state. I didn't know whether the OP was a VA resident or not and thought I should point that out.

My nephew is attending W and M having been accepted at several other schools and is studying biology with biochemistry as a minor. He loves it and truly could have attended anywhere he wished. He is also on the rowing team just like his grandfather. I have no connection or knowledge of Wake Forest.

My daughter applied to & was accepted at William and Mary two years ago.

William & Mary and U VA are considered the top-level state public schools where we live (about 1.5 hours away from each). Over the years, we've noticed that W&M attracts a lot of the smart, nice, intellectual crowd. One of my dd's best friends currently attends as a geology major. She's getting a rigorous education. I've tutored her in freshman calculus, and it was a demanding course. She had an "A+" in calc from the local math/sci high school, but struggled in the same subject at W&M. She's involved in an a capella group and team tennis, and loving it there in general.

It is true that girls and out-of-state students have a more difficult time with admissions.

I'm not familiar with Wake Forest.

Both my husband and I are Wake Forest graduates. We are African American and I can tell you there is, indeed, racial diversity! If you research attendance by race, you will see that the breakdown is similar to what you would find at any other small, private LAC.

We LOVED our time at WFU, and our dd would definitely have applied if her intended major (nursing) was offered at the undergraduate/BSN level.

The campus is incredibly beautiful, and very contained. It is not like most large universities where the campus is spread throughout/bleeds into the city or town... at WFU you are clearly "on campus" or off.

Do you have any specific questions?