Menu

Book suggestions for 16 yr dd

I need a few books to hook my 16 year old daughter on reading!! Literature books of any sort that she will LOVE is what I am looking for. She reads fine, she just has no desire to read, really. She does like Karen Kingsbury books, but I want her to love classic books too. I need to get her sucked in by something she will like (not too hard to understand...not the "great books," just good books :) ) Any suggestions?

I love the Scarlet Pimpernel books. The A&E/BBC movies are a wonderful follow-up also.

Pride and Prejudice is lovely. I highly recommend the A&E/BBC movie right after. Done so well. The one with Colin Firth.

To Kill a Mockingbird

I'm working on a list for my dc - for our literature program. Just some that I'm considering - btw, I think it's motivating and extra nice to do your utmost to see a good movie version of these after she reads them. :)

Roots - but since we've seen the movie, I don't know if they'll want to read this also. I read this first and then saw the series. Love this so much.

Murder on the Orient Express

And Then There Were None

They Came to Baghdad

The Scarlett Letter

The Alchemist

The Crucible

Wuthering Heights

Jane Eyre

Gift of the Magi

Emma

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

When I started wanting to read more classic lit (as a teen) I looked at what had they made movies of (esp. in the 1940's & before). I loved the Bronte sisters' novels (being an overly romantic teen), but didn't find Jane Austen until an adult.

If she likes adventure stories, King Solomon's Mines great, along w/books by Jules Verne, Rudyard Kipling, RL Stevenson. And don't forget Mark Twain!

Dd loved Anna Karenina. I think there's a big movie of it coming out soon. I loved War and Peace, which should be read right before reading "Gone with the Wind."

Or, how 'bout adventure!!! There are some great non-fiction stories about adventure at the South Pole (Shackleton, etc.) and loads of mountaineering books (the Everest ones are really fun).

If she likes adventure and travel in warmer climes, I would suggest "Out of Africa" and "The Flame Trees of Thika", both have movies/tv shows. I just read a cool book called "I Married Adventure" about a husband and wife who made wildlife movies in the early 20th century. Quite charming!

These are all sort of off the beaten track but, have become classics in their own right.

Emma is a great introduction to Austen. Even though Emma is 20, she is a bit silly, flighty, overly dramatic and loves her family she's very much a teenager. I think the book is more about friendship and self knowledge then romance.

From Wikipedia -

Before she began the novel, Austen wrote, "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like."[1] In the very first sentence she introduces the title character as "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich." Emma, however, is also rather spoiled; she greatly overestimates her own matchmaking abilities; and she is blind to the dangers of meddling in other people's lives and is often mistaken about the meanings of others' actions.

Anyway one of my favorites as a teen.