Menu

Interactive Phonics/Spelling for 4th grader?

Adrienne_in_TX

My ds10 was a late reader and has difficulty getting words on paper because he doesn't have much of an innate spelling sense. He's in 4th grade, but is on a 3rd grade reading/comprehension level. However, he has trouble spelling even 4-letter words.

We were using K12s remedial reading program, Mark12 Reading, through our virtual academy, and it was great! But . . . we've switched to K12 independent because he couldn't keep up with the state's pace and all the test prep was too much. The kicker is that K12 won't sell the special reading program to individuals yet, only schools.

So, I need something computer-based, interactive that isn't too childish. I had him work on starfall.com the last two days, but it's way below his level. I'm looking for a comprehensive, self-correcting, interactive phonics/spelling course. Is there such a thing?

Thanks!!

You may want to look into the Sequential Spelling Spelling DVD.

It color codes the words and self corrects as it goes (Student hears word, then a sentence then the word again...they then hit the space bar and write down the word..then they hit the bar again to see the correct spelling of the word and they make any corrections if needed right then and there...the immediate correction is great for those who struggle with spelling and language. In addition the words are color coded to help in "seeing" how words build upon themselves. We tried AAS and it didn't work, my son loves Sequential Spelling. It was apparently created especially for dyslexic students. If you get the DVD you don't need the teacher manual/student workbook. In fact we started with the manual/workbook and it didn't work as well for us as the DVD did.

My son was also enrolled in K12 and did the Mark 12 program. He finally tested out last year (finished) but he is still far behind the average with regards to reading/writing/grammar. He started 6th this year and I took him out of K12 due to problems with the state virtual academy not allowing his acceleration in math to continue once he entered middle school (3 grade levels ahead in Math, but 2 behind in language arts). I never did find a program exactly as you are describing. He's on a 4th-5th grade reading fluency level, but his spelling is much worse. I'm currently combining MCT (earliest level...Yeah I know its 3rd grade but its just what his dyslexic brain needs...short & sweet and engaging. Even Mark 12 couldn't get grammar into him *fingers crossed that this works*) We also do FFL 4 & WWE 4 (dictation modified) and I've ordered The Paragraph Book/Writing Skills by EPS (simplified, step by step writing instruction). We also do Brainware Safari to help with working memory which seems to have helped with his reading/writing skills.

We spend alot of time on the Language Arts as you can see. But if he can't read he can't do anything else IMO. We do history/science orally to give him a break from all the reading/writing he does in language arts and because of this he is cooperative and even semi-excited about writing/reading during Grammar/Reading time. Alot of this ease also has to do with the engaging feel of MCT, the simplicity of SS, the direct 1/1 interaction with FLL and WWE and the fun of Brainware. Also FYI, after studying, trying, sampling almost every math curriculum out there when he recently hit a wall with algebra (letters in a formula mixed w/ dyslexia = sad puppy) We found a perfect fit with TT & LOF. He loves having the problems read to him online in TT and he actually find the story in LOF engaging....I never saw that one coming with his language issues...so you never know.

(Forgive any grammar, spelling, run-on sentences, its very late and I should be in bed.....and I'm too tired to re-check the post...:lol:)

You might want to check out Explode the Code online. It corresponds with the books so if he's beyond all of those, it wouldn't work. I believe there are samples at the website. My son enjoyed Destination Reading course 2 last year. I don't know if it is what you're looking for, but there's a 30 day free trial so you could check it out. Both of these are available through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

Jennifer