Menu

If you are a "foodie" and live in an area with a Persian market...(Kaskh content)..

...and you like the savory umami-salty taste of parmesan cheese (with just a hint of "funk"), then I urge you to pick up a bottle of prepared "Kaskh" In the dairy section.

What is Kashk? I have no idea :D

One often reads that it is whey based, and cultured and condensed. What is is is a thick tan colored paste. It has a divine taste. The closest approximation I can think of is Greek youghurt mixed with parmesan cheese. But it is better than that.

Kaskh is a traditional topping for Persian roasted eggplant dishes (kashk-e-bademjan) and for mixed bean and barley soup (ash-e-jow).

But is it is delicious on almost everything.

A little creamy kashk in Italian tomato based pasta sauce is unbelievably delicious. I have been turning-on Persian friends to using kashk in out-of-the-box ways, and those that listen have hailed me as a culinary genius :tongue_smilie:

It is seriously good. I predict that one day kashk will be a "known" food item outside of Persian culture.

You can get in on it "before" it becomes cool.

Just a thought.

Bill

that sounds amazing! and bad for my blood pressure. and amazing.

I'm going to prevent myself from driving to the closest Persian market!

I have to keep myself out of Indian grocery stores because I can NOT resist the spicy pickled mangoes and limes. Have you SEEN the salt content on those? Horrible. But they are so good!

that sounds amazing! and bad for my blood pressure. and amazing.

I'm going to prevent myself from driving to the closest Persian market!

I have to keep myself out of Indian grocery stores because I can NOT resist the spicy pickled mangoes and limes. Have you SEEN the salt content on those? Horrible. But they are so good!

Are you kidding? I have to keep a quantity of delicious Indian pickles (including Mango and Lime) on hand at all times or the good-woman I'm married to will not be happy :D

Bill

Oh. my. goodness. :D

Some of you may not know that we're Persian and just love, love, love Persian food. Love Kashk. fesenjoon, you name it ... :drool: Alas, no Persian markets in this part of the world. We do try to stock up every time we visit the U.S.

I'm envious. :D

For those who don't have a Persian market, there might be a good Persian restaurant near you. More so in big cities.

There's a fabulous Persian market in Irvine - huge!

dsc_0070.jpg

Some of you may not know that we're Persian and just love, love, love Persian food. Love Kashk. fesenjoon, you name it ... :drool: Alas, no Persian markets in this part of the world. We do try to stock up every time we visit the U.S.

For those who don't have a Persian market, there might be a good Persian restaurant near you. More so in big cities.

dsc_0070.jpg

I made a big pot of ash-e-jow for dinner tonight, just as an excuse to eat kashk :D

I added a little fresh-ground nutmeg for a little Grenadian-Persian fusion in your honor.

Bill (who is addicted to this stuff ;))

dsc_0070.jpg

I made a big pot of ash-e-jow for dinner tonight, just as an excuse to eat kashk :D

I added a little fresh-ground nutmeg for a little Grenadian-Persian fusion in your honor.

Bill (who is seriously addicted to this stuff ;))

Bill (who is seriously addicted to this stuff ;))

Bill, stop right now. :lol: :D

I'm so jealous of everyone who lives close to a good International food store, r Persian market, or Persian restaurant. I love ashe-e-jow. Mind you, I've never made that one. My mom makes it. I like your Grenadian-Persian touch. :lol:

Bill, stop right now. :lol: :D

I'm so jealous of everyone who lives close to a good International food store, r Persian market, or Persian restaurant. I love ashe-e-jow. Mind you, I've never made that one. My mom makes it. I like your Grenadian-Persian touch. :lol:

And, as a side-note, I just happen to live about a 100 yards from a Baha'i center. Not that I want to rub it in :D

Bill

And, as a side-note, I just happen to live about a 100 yards from a Baha'i center. Not that I want to rub it in :D

Bill

Oh my. :D

Okay, now you really are rubbing it in. :lol:

I think we've been to the one you're talking about. Dh grew up in San Diego. We lived there many years ago. We visited there last year. Love So. Cal.

I'm still thinking about ash e jow. :D