Menu

Need beginner resources

I was shocked to find that the 13yo birthday party I attended this past weekend was that of my very own child!:001_huh: How did she reach this advanced age without my noticing?

Then the sinking realization hit me that in January when I begin planning for our next school year, I will be planning high school!:drool:

Actually, I'm not quite that bad, I have given a bit of thought to the subject, but now that she is officially a teenager, I realize I need to get more serious and official with my schooling. Can any of you recommend any good resources for getting started in this arena? I have lots of questions, everything from how to determine the number of credits to give for each subject, just how much rigor to expect for her 'back burner" classes, transcript preparation, SAT prep, dual enrollment...the list goes on and on.

I find it easy to get very nervous about all this. Dd is definitely in the throes of being a young teen. One day she will wake and function like a 20yo, responsible, diligent and helpful to an amazing degree. The next day she will arise as a 3yo, and one who is unfamiliar with our family rules such as do not leave the refrigerator door open as you walk out of the kitchen.:confused: I honestly cannot imagine this child as a high school student.

Thanks for all your help and the wisdom/questions you have shared here. I expect to have a fairly steep learning curve ahead of me.

:grouphug: I'm in that midst as well. My biggest wealth of information is this board, the high school forum. You can do a search or check tags to find information on all the subjects you listed.

Also I swallowed my pride and asked some "dumb" questions. :lol:

If you search for some of Lori D's posts, she has a packet of information she will mail you on planning high school.

I also started a binder for information I may need down the road, classes, curricula, neat websites I may never find again.

Can any of you recommend any good resources for getting started in this arena? I have lots of questions, everything from how to determine the number of credits to give for each subject, just how much rigor to expect for her 'back burner" classes, transcript preparation, SAT prep, dual enrollment...the list goes on and on.

Besides this list, another great resource is the yahoo group "hs2coll." Like this group, many in the yahoo group are also extremely generous with advice. If you go to the "files" section, you can view other members' homeschool profiles, transcripts, course description documents, etc.

Welcome to the "big board" (LOL!).

Check out the pinned threads at the top of the high school board for lots of great threads on getting started with homeschooling high school. You've got lots of time (and reading! :tongue_smilie:) ahead of you, so not to panic. Come on in! The waters of homeschooling high school are fine! Warmest regards, Lori D.