Menu

SAT Subect Test or AP Test

We are leaning toward the AP test because you can actually get college credit and/or advanced placement. From what I can tell the SAT subjects tests are basically just an affirmation of knowledge without any perks. Am I correct?

Please share your thoughts on the pros and cons of each test.

Some college require SAT-2's, even if the student has taken an AP exam in the subject.

You should really try to talk with various colleges that your child might consider applying to and find out what they want to see.

What we did -- my kids took took the AP exam in May and the related subject test (if there was one) in June.

I agree with Gwen that some colleges require that an applicant have a certain number of SAT subject test scores in order to apply. This was the case with most of the colleges to which my daughter applied.

My daughter took four AP classes and three SAT subject tests; she also took a number of community college classes. In the case of US History and Latin, she took both tests.

The AP classes that my daughter took were beneficial to her in terms of the learning she did but also in that they made her (we trust) a more desirable candidate to the colleges.

Regards,

Kareni

I don't know how accurate or up-to-date these lists are, but here a couple lists of schools requiring SAT subject tests:

http://www.eduplan.us/2010-2011-list-of-colleges-requiring-sat-subject-tests/

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/sat-subject-test-required.htm

http://www.admitipedia.org/page/SAT+Subject+Tests

I still think they are a joke and just a money-grabbing scheme if the student takes the AP exam.

We are leaning toward the AP test because you can actually get college credit and/or advanced placement. From what I can tell the SAT subjects tests are basically just an affirmation of knowledge without any perks. Am I correct?

Definitely check with colleges you might be interested in. Occasionally, what is listed for "all" is different for homeschoolers. We ran into that with Emory (GA), but not at any other school middle son was originally interested in.

Middle son doesn't have any SAT 2 tests, but has one AP and two CC class grades as well as a very high ACT score. He opted to eliminate Emory from consideration (didn't even want to visit when we drove right by Atlanta) as he didn't care to take more tests just for them. No other school he has been interested in has required the tests. Even if they were listed as "recommended" or "recommended for homeschoolers" they are willing to take his AP and CC grades instead (we e-mailed or asked in person the specific question to each school).

However, for the schools which still require SAT 2 tests, esp for all students, (and there are some) I wouldn't expect AP to be substituted. These places have picked SAT 2 tests to "compare" students.

That vast majority of schools do not require them. Even more don't require them if you pick the ACT instead of the SAT as your main test. It all depends on exactly which schools attract your interest.

As others have already stated, the SAT II's are required at some schools even if an AP exam has been taken in that subject.

Based on what I have read, the vast majority of Subject tests are taken after the completion of the related AP course. My oldest took his first AP test and corresponding SAT II last May. He had a top score on both tests, but felt the SAT II questions required more thought.