Menu

Earth Science for high school?

We combined an earth science-type course with a semester of Astronomy--they worked together perfectly.

We used Runkles for a physical geography credit, going thru it for almost the whole year, but only giving .5 credit (because it's really more of a middle school course), and adding in Astronomy Today for the other semester.

Now, in 12th grade, ds wants to complete the credit in earth science, but we decided to do that by studying Environmental Science. I am not going to necessarily combine the geog with the enviro on the transcript, but still list them separately, just giving .5 credit for each.

I don't know where Nan is, but look on the high school boards for the nature study she's done with her son. It looks great! I think it's by MODG, too.

Yes, some sort of earth science is a requirement in my state. My older son did a geology college course for non-majors for his earth science requirement last year, as a freshman. We used Indiana University. They offer high school courses for homeschoolers, too.

I might be wrong but it seems to me that most earth science texts at least touch on astronomy, don't they? I know that when my dd did the MODG Earth Science she did a quarter on Astronomy. However, I don't recommend the MODG curriculum. I thought it was really shallow science that focused more on writing than acquiring actualy scientific knowledge. But then again, I know others who thought it was great! There's no religion in it per se, so you can use it secularly if that's what you'd prefer.