Menu

Glue Stick Frustrations!

ForeverFamily

I just spent 5 min trying to dig out the plastic piece, the part that holds the glue, out of the lid of the glue stick :banghead:! We only get about 2 projects worth out of each glue stick before the plastic piece pops out. When I was a kid glue sticks seemed to last a lot longer. Did they start making them differently? Is anyone else having this issue as well?

Between the glue sticks and my stapler, that only works about half the time, projects are becoming really frustrating. We are using Elmers glue sticks, what kind of glue sticks is everyone else using? Has anyone found any less frustrating glue sticks to use? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I am really tired of averaging 1 glue stick for every 2 projects. Thanks for any input or advice!:D

Don't get me STARTED on glue sticks. I use the double sided tape, glue dots, or the little squares of perforated double sided tape. I also have different spray adhesives for large things. I don't know at what age I want them using it alone. Usually I put it on a tray and they just do it on the porch really quick if they insist on spraying themselves.

All of these are in a scrapbooking section of the craft store. They may be pricier than cheap glue sticks but those things are single use if you ask me!

Don't get me STARTED on glue sticks. I use the double sided tape, glue dots, or the little squares of perforated double sided tape. I also have different spray adhesives for large things. I don't know at what age I want them using it alone. Usually I put it on a tray and they just do it on the porch really quick if they insist on spraying themselves.

All of these are in a scrapbooking section of the craft store. They may be pricier than cheap glue sticks but those things are single use if you ask me!

I have never tried any of these before, perhaps I will have to give them a try! I have used spray on adhesive for some of my own artwork, I have never thought of using it for the kids stuff! I will have to try it. I have been using rubber cement to glue together their lapbooks. But that stuff is really messy and stinky! I really don't want to let the kids use it until they get older.

So I was googling glue sticks. It came up with a brand that I had as a kid that seemed to last a long time. The brand was Uhu Stic, I found them on blick art supply. Has anyone used these before?

:iagree:

What I use these days is double sided tape or the Rubber Cement glue that has the brush attached to the lid.

When I was a child we didn't use glue sticks :001_huh: but paste.

I must have posted right about the same time as you. So you say you let your kiddos use rubber cement? How do they do with it? Does it make a big mess? Perhaps this is an option I should think a little more about.

I must have posted right about the same time as you. So you say you let your kiddos use rubber cement? How do they do with it? Does it make a big mess? Perhaps this is an option I should think a little more about.

They do pretty good. I show them how to wipe the brush against the side of the container so they don't have it dripping all over the place. And I'm always reminding them "A little goes a long way" ;).

With the smell, at first it was a concern but it hasn't been a problem. Nobody has noticed the smell. I don't have the bottle of glue sitting under their noses, so for me it hasn'g been a big issue.

Another idea is to use the regular white glue. Pour a small amount out on a small dish or paper plate and use a paintbrush. This is what I did when my children were younger. We just recently started using the Rubber Cement glue but my kids are ages 7+. I just noticed that yours are 5 and under.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I 100% will only use UHU glue sticks. They go on smoothly, and last and last. I'll admit I'm a glue stick Nazi (ie. I taught my daughter exactly how far you should twist the glue up before using, like about 1/8 inch, and that lids must be put on if the glue isn't being used for a few minutes), but that's because I like to be able to reach for a glue stick and have it work perfectly.

UHU!!!