Menu

Teacher's Lodge for 10/14/11

Okay....so the Lodge is getting a late opening today. But better late than never, right?

Hopefully you're all winding down the school week and easing into the weekend! :auto:

What was your biggest accomplishment in regards to educating your child(ren) this week? What didn't work or didn't get done?

What are your weekend plans?

Anything yummy on the menu for today or this weekend?

Anything else you want to talk about? :bigear:

Better late than never, yes! (Unless you're trying to get pregnant LOL).

We took off three days this week, so my biggest school accomplishment was getting something done at all! Maybe I could also add in this non-traditional class: negotiation. We went to garage sales this morning, and I'm quite impressed with the skills my 6 year old exhibited today. She talked someone down from $25 to 10 for one of those Little Tyke plastic things. She's using her birthday money to buy it for her little cousin :)

This weekend? Parties, sports, and .... work!

We're eating veggie soup with garlic rolls and salad tonight. It's one of our fall dishes, so it'll be yummy to bring it back into rotation.

Anything else to talk about? I have many aquaintances but few true friends outside of my family because all of my social needs are met through my (large) family. One couple that I absolutely love are leaving tonight, to move overseas for a few years. We're an odd match; she's 10 years older than me and he's 25 years older than me, but it works. Their son and mine have been great friends for 6 years. I'm sad today. (Which is unusual, because I'm not at all sentimental.)

I might be a woman but I have a man cold. The only problem is that my family refuses to coddle me!

Biggest accomplishment - Going on a field trip to the aquarium. I find that actually making the arrangements and following through on field trips is much harder than just staying home and doing school. But we have fun once we get there!

What hasn't gotten done yet is a chemistry experiment that ds14 has to do. He claims that he practically has to have a haz-mat suit to do it because it involves an acid. :glare: He WILL get it done today. (I got him special gloves and goggles but refuse to go further than that.)

Weekend plans - Other than the usual errands and church, a good-bye party for dear friends of ours.

Yummy? - I don't know. Depends on if someone else makes it!

What was your biggest accomplishment in regards to educating your child(ren) this week? What didn't work or didn't get done? Hmm...accomplishments. Hmm..those are hard to come by this week! I guess the fact that my 14 year old didn't need Dad to tutor her in math or science this week counts as an accomplishment, right? She seems to be understanding her schoolwork better and is in a "groove" as far as a routine.

Failures...there have been many this week. We have been super busy (dentist appts, extra babysitting kids for me, soccer, dance, etc) and a few subjects just didn't happen this week. Oh well...we're still ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point.

What are your weekend plans? DD2 is going on her first Girl Scout camping trip. She's very excited! Luckily, our neighbor is her leader, so I just have to walk across the street to drop her off and she'll ride with them! DS is going bowling with his cub scout patrol tonight! DD1 has a small group Bible Study this evening at a friend's house. DS and dd3 both have soccer games tomorrow. DD1 is participating in the NC Dance Alliance workshop tomorrow. Sunday is a full church day....worship services, teaching Sunday School, dd1 has youth council, and then we have evening activities. Whewww...

Anything yummy on the menu for today or this weekend? I made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip brownies this morning as a donation for a bake sale. I tried one (since it was a new recipe). They were absolutely divine! I will definitely be making another batch for our family.

Anything else you want to talk about? I need a vacation. Seriously.

EternalKnot...I am sorry that your dear friends are moving. At least in this age of technology, it should be easier to keep in touch, despite the distance.

Jean...I'm sorry you're not feeling well and that your family isn't coddling you! I hope you feel better quickly!

My yearly "girls shopping trip" with my mom, sister and SIL is tomorrow! This includes a late lunch at THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!!:D (I guess that would qualify for yummy menu items!). I want to get the Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake! Very excited!! Has anyone tried this one??

Edited by MissKNG

My yearly "girls shopping trip" with my mom, sister and SIL is tomorrow! This includes a late lunch at THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!!:D

Lucky!! That sounds like a fabulous tradition! As an only child, I wish I had a sister to do this with! I hope when my kids are older that they will make traditions like this with one another!

Have fun!

Thanks! I sooooo need a break too! The girls have been extremely difficult lately. We've been doing this tradition for at least 6 years now. My sister is 8 years older than me so growing up we had nothing in common. Now we are both married with kids so the gap is bridged.

EternalKnot...I am sorry that your dear friends are moving. At least in this age of technology, it should be easier to keep in touch, despite the distance.

Thanks :grouphug: - we're definitely fortunate to have the technology we do!

My yearly "girls shopping trip" with my mom, sister and SIL is tomorrow!

Have fun! I love those kinds of weekends!

I made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip brownies this morning as a donation for a bake sale. I tried one (since it was a new recipe). They were absolutely divine! I will definitely be making another batch for our family.

I'm drooling over here, and it ain't pretty ... any chance you can post the recipe one of these days? (It looks like you're pretty booked today through the weekend LOL but at some point I hope you'll have a few seconds to send that baby on through.) I love anything pumpkin, but have never heard of or tasted this one yet!