Menu

Help with the difference between a written paper and an oral presentation...

What features should a good oral presentation contain? How does one differ from a written report or essay?

My son's history book is from France. Every chapter has a "Doing History" section. The student is given three or four primary source documents and asked to draw conclusions from them and write that up as an essay. This chapter asks the student to give an oral report instead. The answer guide just says to make sure the student knows that an oral presentation is not the same as reading an essay aloud. I need more guidance than that. What elements should I tell my son to include? What are the differences?

Nan

My son generally just does a sort of outline of short statements or phrases on notecards for an oral presentation. He may keep that with him, but he generally ends up memorizing the presentation and speaking to his audience without referring much to his notes. He also tries to make sure he has enough back information to answer any questions they might have....

Guest submarines
What features should a good oral presentation contain? How does one differ from a written report or essay?

My son's history book is from France. Every chapter has a "Doing History" section. The student is given three or four primary source documents and asked to draw conclusions from them and write that up as an essay. This chapter asks the student to give an oral report instead. The answer guide just says to make sure the student knows that an oral presentation is not the same as reading an essay aloud. I need more guidance than that. What elements should I tell my son to include? What are the differences?

Nan

I'd say it should be pretty much the same as an essay done orally, but you are not allowed to actually *read* your notes. You are supposed to have memorised your presentation enough to narrate is coherently, smoothly, with appropriate intonation, etc, without forgetting to mention your main points.

I did a neat activity with my students when I taught in the dark ages:tongue_smilie:. I showed them Martin Luther King's " I Have a Dream" speech. Then I had them read his " Letter from a Burmingham Jail." (I think that is the title of the paper that he wrote to clergymen from jail.) His two styles are INCREDIBLY different. His language in the speech is much simpler, has a wonderful extended metaphor and clear images, repetetive, etc. To me, an essay and a speech are NOT the same. When you have an essay, the reader can reread, look things up, etc. A speech needs to be simpler. It needs to be something the people can understand and remember. Just my two cents.

Christine

An oral presentation should be like the text accompanying power point slides. Doing an oral-power point combination is especially fun for students. Having visuals makes it easier for them to pace things and stay on track. The writing should be just an outline and a few critical notes. Also, have them take your oral questions afterwards. You could put the presentation on video and then sit and critique it afterwards but, I prefer to base my grading on my "live" response.

My kids do visual presentations every year for 4H. They also give them sometimes in German Sat. School.

Definitely note cards, and bullet points as reminders, not to read from. Look at your audience, speak clearly, don't rush or mumble. Introduce your topic and give the major points before launching into it. Visuals are a nice touch.

The 4H visual presentations in MA are wonderful. Great experience speaking in front of others, and seeing lots of other people doing it. We really don't do much with 4H outside of the presentations, but I think they're worth it. :)

An oral presentation should not be an essay read out loud, but should cover the same material in an engaging manner. Eye contact is important, and your voice carries better when you're looking at the audience and not down at your notes. Note cares are one good way to prepare, and practicing in front of a mirror first can help, as can recording yourself.

Nowadays in ps kids make powerpoint presentations or else posters to go with their presentations. My eldest is now in ps and has had to do both of these.

Ideally students should learn to speak without reading the entire thing. Sure, we see politicians doing this, perhaps to avoid blunders. Some people do better writing the whole thing out first, but then learn it without reading it all. Others don't need to do that ever, but can figure out what to say just from notes.

I did one year of high school in the US when my dad was on sabbatical, but most of it in Canada, but I can't remember how many oral presentations I made then and how many later. I have done a lot of public speaking, however, and have had training in it, but am giving the basics you'd use anywhere.

I've given many oral presentations growing up in another country. I used visual aids and engaged the audience with eye contact. I'd provide examples in an animated fashion with good facial expressions, for example, arching an eyebrow if I was sharing a particularly interesting example or gesturing with my hands to help my audience visualize a tug-of-war like scenario or modulating my voice accordingly to convey sadness/ excitement etc. It's basically showmanship. Participated in several forensics-style events that way. It was always way more fun for me than presenting a written report.

Other than that I agree that visual aids are important. Sorry gotta run but this was all I could think of atm that hasn't already been mentioned. Good luck!

ETA: of course, the content would need to be complete/ detailed too. Good showmanship alone wouldn't have given me good grades. :)

ETA again: perhaps visual aids could include maps and your son could provide detailed oral descriptions?

Edited by quark

I answered you in your other question, but since the discussion is going on in this thread, I'll move my reply.

We did oral presentations in school in Germany, starting in elementary. We use oral presentations in our homeschool a LOT.

A few things that come to my mind:

Present with notes containing no full sentences, but only a few key words. That way, the student is not tempted to read a prepared text, but will make eye contact with the audience- one of the most important features.

Speaking freely, without only occasional glances at the notes, should be practiced prior to presenting. (Practicing the presentation beforehand is essential if there is a time limit)

Gear the level of the presentation towards the audience. If talking to non-experts about a technical subject (such as giving science presentation to fellow students), define all presumably unknown terms and talk TO the audience, not above their heads. The point is not to impress somebody with your expert knowledge, but to communicate your knowledge to others.

Begin the presentation with an outline and tell the audience what you are going to talk about and about which subtopics in which order. For a longer presentation, showing the outline again when moving to a new section can help the audience stay oriented. Stay on topic.

If using visuals, such as Powerpoint, the most common mistake is too much text. Graphics and fotos should pertain to the subject. If the student shows a picture, he needs to be able to explain what is on it.

Avoid hard-to read text such as light blue on dark blue background; dark on light is easier to read. Choose an easy to read font, not a fancy one. Font must be large enough for the selected venue.

That's all I can think of right now.

That was very helpful! I guess I was taught some of this in school, like the note cards, but I didn't remember. I was so petrified of speaking in front of the class that I think I blocked it all out. I was fine with discussions, going up to the board to solve problems, volunteering answers, and things like that. It was just the presentation format. I don't know how my son is going to manage this in French, it will be good for him to try.

Thank you!

Nan

I think what is meant is that you don't read the presentation, but use an outline and have eye contact. Note cards were encouraged at least as assurance even though you had the presentation memorized.

I agree that this is the most important difference. Not reading.

I also think the points need to be clear, sharing an outline as Regenetude mentioned or using a technique like repeating the same intro to each point.

Not sure if this is "taught" but in my experience with student presentations in a co-op & my own experience training etc., one thing that makes all the difference is including the audience in the presentation. At least asking the audience a question, asking them to listen for something, or telling a mild joke to get laughter. More advanced involvement might include a little game or activity. This isn't just to keep their attention, but to assure retention of the material you are "teaching," if that is your goal. Folks rarely will remember something that is simply read to them, with no interaction. Again, not sure if that is being taught in his class, but it's an important method in real life :)

Julie

I remember this being a huge deal in the university I attended. Generally we would be split up into groups to research a project, write about it, and finally present it orally to the rest of the class.

Honestly this was such a huge skill, and it seemed like almost everyone I encountered was reluctant to do it. Because I was naturally at ease in front of people I usually took the helm to present the material. I think notecards are good, and I remember using them. However, the real ease of doing it comes from knowing your subject well. Once you have that, then the rest is easy. You naturally can stand up and give the background information about the topic, then go into the supporting details. The eye contact, inflection in voice, and engaging the audience with a joke or something just comes from being comfortable up there.

This was actually a huge part of my decision to move towards a sales career after college. I found a position selling phone systems and voice mail systems to new businesses in the city. Initially it felt awkward because I did not KNOW the subject enough to sound articulate and interested, but once I had immersed myself into why this particular system would be better for a certain company vs another, and what the installation procedure would be like, as well as what could be expected from our team as far as professionalism and customer service then I had a 'presentation' to give them. It didn't matter whether it was to 5 people around a table, or training 100 people how to use the system. It's a matter of being comfortable in front of people, and being prepared enough to know what to say and have an ease about you when saying it.

As a side note, on top of realizing that most people in my class group would do ALL the work if I would just present it to the class, I also used to watch a group of people come in to a meeting hall where I worked after school. The group was called "Toastmasters" and was for adults who had the same issue - not being able to talk in public, make eye contact, and sound interesting. They taught voice inflection, and how to sound more at ease. I found it was rarely about the subject, as more often than not they had to draw a piece of paper out of a bowl and 'present about it for 5 minutes'. These were easy and random things that most anyone could talk about, but in a university environment or job it really matters that you know what you are talking about.

I forget sometimes that being able to speak in front of a crowd of people is not an automatic with everyone. It is something we need to concentrate more on in the future as well.

It's basically showmanship. Participated in several forensics-style events that way. It was always way more fun for me than presenting a written report.

Apologies Nan. Upon reflection, I think in my hurry, I may have misinterpreted the question. Listening in to learn from others.

No you didn't. My original question was worded in a straightforward way. Fortunately everyone seems to have known what I meant LOL and given me the information I need. My son is required to give an oral presentation and I don't know how to teach him to do that. The book just says to make sure he knows that an oral presentation is not a reading-aloud-of-a-paper. The information you gave was new and helpful and something I will explain to my son. Showmanship is not something anyone in my family has any of GRIN. We are all sort of understated and that isn't going to reach across a room very well. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thank you.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass