Menu

Feeling frustrated

Easy grammar is not going so well. The older boys have gone through the first 12 pages and are confused as anything. I think it is all the years of the R&S/GWG/FLL way of finding the parts of a sentence and diagramming. This is even confusing me. Now I do not know what to do. This will be the third switch, if I do, in less than 2 months. My dh is not happy. Thing is, I have no idea where to put them in anything else that has grade levels. FLL4 comes to mind but really, that far back? AG is not going to work here. I have looked at the samples and it is not a fit. Should I just quit and focus on IEW instead? Should I stay the course and give it more time? Should I drop the EGP and move them to the Ultimate Series for their respective grades?

HELP!!

Remember, EG focuses on finding and eliminating prepositional phrases first THEN finding the verb, noun, etc.

R&S (and I) prefer to find the verb first, then the noun, then the DO (or whatever). Two things come to mind:

1. Make sure you have them memorize the list of prepositions in the front of the book. This will make the rest of the lessons so much easier and painless!

2. Make sure you have them in the right level. How old are they & which books are you using?

Also, are you *teaching* them or just turning them loose with the books? I find the explanations in EG to be one extreme or the other: either too vague or too wordy. My ds responds better to my teaching. He'd be completely lost if I just handed him the book and made him do it on his own with only their instructions to go by.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both.

1. I have them using the list in the beginning of the book. Memorizing is a great weakness here so likely not to happen.

2. They are 15 (8th/9th) and almost 13 (7th). Both are using Easy Grammar Plus without the Daily Grams 7. I had called and talked to someone at EG who suggested this placement.

3. I am not teaching it to them. I do not 'get' how to teach this as it seems like it should be a case of they read the explanation and do the page. I am finding the same with the explanations.

Still mulling it over.

Do you have the teacher guide? If so, the explanations there are far more detailed with more examples than those in the student book. If they just have the student books, there may not be enough explanation to get them there. If you aren't comfortable teaching, let them read the instruction in the IG themselves. My kids did this. They are better at grammar than I am, but EG really resonated here. With your kids grammar background it may be different.

Do you have the teacher guide? If so, the explanations there are far more detailed with more examples than those in the student book. If they just have the student books, there may not be enough explanation to get them there. If you aren't comfortable teaching, let them read the instruction in the IG themselves. My kids did this. They are better at grammar than I am, but EG really resonated here. With your kids grammar background it may be different.

:iagree: We had a great year with EG a few years back. But I taught every lesson using the TG as a guide, using a white board and going over the sample sentences in the TG before handing them the worksheets. I looked at the directions on the page as just that, directions, not instruction or explanation. That would have been inadequate. There are often 1-2 full pages of instruction in the TG for each concept, that are not reproduced anywhere on the worksheets.

It worked very well that way.