Menu

I'm really starting to hate food

Seriously. I'm in one of those major cooking ruts, where I just make the same boring old things over and over (and over and over and over). Blah! If I didn't feel obligated to feed my kids healthy meals I'd probably subsist on plain crackers and cheese because food just bores me to tears right now. I don't seem to have the energy for creativity in the kitchen and am thoroughly uninspired.

Please help. I'm a desperate woman. :tongue_smilie:

Give me your very best suggestions for meals you and your family love! We're mostly homemade, from-scratch type folks (mostly due to avoiding food allergens in processed stuff) but I'm well-versed in coming up with substitutions if need be. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks...ANYTHING! Inspire me, I'm begging you! Tomorrow is grocery shopping day and I would LOVE to purchase ingredients for something I'm actually enthused about eating. :lol:

:bigear:

Inspire me, I'm begging you! Tomorrow is grocery shopping day and I would LOVE to purchase ingredients for something I'm actually enthused about eating. :lol:

:bigear:

Homemade pasta. All you need are eggs and flour. Dump a pile of flour on a countertop, make a "well" in it, put some eggs in the well, and start mixing the eggs up in the well. Eventually draw the flour into the eggs, and make a pile of dough. Make shapes with the dough, or roll it out and cut it with cookie cutters (I made apple-shaped pieces today). Boil for five minutes. Cover with some kind of sauce.

I know how you feel; I have been in a rut for a very long time. We, too, cook from scratch for the same reasons. But today was a special celebration in my family, and THAT inspired me to get creative again. My apple-shaped pieces of pasta with cheese sauce were a welcome hit with everyone. I think I will make pasta more often - hey, it includes the protein, so that's one less thing to think about with meal-making, and I can concentrate on some fresh yummy veggies to go with it!

Homemade pasta. All you need are eggs and flour. Dump a pile of flour on a countertop, make a "well" in it, put some eggs in the well, and start mixing the eggs up in the well. Eventually draw the flour into the eggs, and make a pile of dough. Make shapes with the dough, or roll it out and cut it with cookie cutters (I made apple-shaped pieces today). Boil for five minutes. Cover with some kind of sauce.

I know how you feel; I have been in a rut for a very long time. We, too, cook from scratch for the same reasons. But today was a special celebration in my family, and THAT inspired me to get creative again. My apple-shaped pieces of pasta with cheese sauce were a welcome hit with everyone. I think I will make pasta more often - hey, it includes the protein, so that's one less thing to think about with meal-making, and I can concentrate on some fresh yummy veggies to go with it!

Ooh, sounds delicious! I've never tried making my own pasta. Care to tell me about your cheese sauce? :bigear:

Ooh, sounds delicious! I've never tried making my own pasta. Care to tell me about your cheese sauce? :bigear:

It's your basic white sauce, with grated cheese melted into it.

Heat up a couple of tablespoons of oil, add in a few tablespoons of flour, whisk it all together. Add in 2 c. milk; whisk and heat. Whisk often to break up the lumps that keep trying to form. Don't let it heat to boiling. Heat gently and whisk until mixture gets thick. Remove pot from heat, add grated cheese and mix in. Voila, cheese sauce.

White sauce is VERY versatile. You can make cheese sauce, or you can add other herbs/spices to make different kinds of sauce for casseroles or veggies, too.

I know how you feel. It seems like we have chicken, salads and tacos every week. My husband and I are both Type II Diabetics, so we have to plan out meals, but I'm tired of the same things. Cooking from scratch is what we try to do as well. Bring on the ideas, ladies:bigear:

I feel your pain! Hopefully we'll both find some inspiration!

It's your basic white sauce, with grated cheese melted into it.

Awesome! White sauce is easy. Thanks for sharing!

How old are your children? It might be time for them to paricipate in planning & some shopping. Even little ones can weigh fruit and veggies etc with a bit of a lift. Familes should hep each other think through deas and prep.

They're little (oldest is seven) and generally happy helpers. The trouble is that I'M the big whiner who's bored of our usual fare. :lol:

DH made us OMELETS tonight! For Dinner! Oh My!

Talk about a Rut-Buster! Mine was onions and ham and cheese. DH even made up some homemade hashbrowns for himself and DS15.

When we aren't having amazing omelets, we have: taco salad, hamburgers, scrambled eggs/pancakes, red beans & sausage, grilled brats or steak or pork chops....

DH is an amazing cook....

DH made us OMELETS tonight! For Dinner! Oh My!

Talk about a Rut-Buster! Mine was onions and ham and cheese. DH even made up some homemade hashbrowns for himself and DS15.

When we aren't having amazing omelets, we have: taco salad, hamburgers, scrambled eggs/pancakes, red beans & sausage, grilled brats or steak or pork chops....

DH is an amazing cook....

So you're telling me to get out of my food rut I need to exchange my husband for one who cooks more? :lol:

Actually mine is a good cook too but works too late to be in charge of the kitchen (more's the pity!). :tongue_smilie:

Omelets sound great, but I've never managed to get the hang of folding them nicely. I aim for omelets and always end up eating 'fancy' scrambled eggs. :D

Omelets sound great, but I've never managed to get the hang of folding them nicely. I aim for omelets and always end up eating 'fancy' scrambled eggs. :D

Make quiche, then, instead! It's easier; just throw the whole mess into a baking pan, and it will turn out pretty in the end. :D (I mean crustless quiche, where you just add flour to the mixture)

Make quiche, then, instead! It's easier; just throw the whole mess into a baking pan, and it will turn out pretty in the end. :D (I mean crustless quiche, where you just add flour to the mixture)

You diabolical genius! :lol:

It would be so much more impressive to say "Look at this lovely quiche!!" than "Dang, I mucked up the omelet again." LOL