Menu

Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2

I am considering switching Algebra 1 texts and would want to use Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2. I'm not sure which edition to buy, and I would love solutions manuals/teacher materials, too. What do I buy? I need this to be as cheap as possible, too. I don't mind older editions if they are cheaper and are just as good. I guess I'll consider Jacobs for Geometry, if anyone can help with how to buy that.

I'm currently using BJU because a friend loaned it to me for free, but while I feel it's okay, I think Lial's would be much better. I have a math degree and can teach any of it. I feel dd, who is not math oriented, needs good examples to look back at while she's doing her lessons. Dd is also annoyed how BJU throws in Christian though where it doesn't even belong.

Thanks for any help.

I am considering switching Algebra 1 texts and would want to use Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2. I'm not sure which edition to buy, and I would love solutions manuals/teacher materials, too. What do I buy? I need this to be as cheap as possible, too. I don't mind older editions if they are cheaper and are just as good. I guess I'll consider Jacobs for Geometry, if anyone can help with how to buy that.

I'm currently using BJU because a friend loaned it to me for free, but while I feel it's okay, I think Lial's would be much better. I have a math degree and can teach any of it. I feel dd, who is not math oriented, needs good examples to look back at while she's doing her lessons. Dd is also annoyed how BJU throws in Christian though where it doesn't even belong.

Thanks for any help.

Amy,

My dd is using Lial's and doing well. It is more challenging for her than I thought it would be, but part of that may be my fault. The teaching examples, IMHO, are excellent. DD reads them, but I've realized I need to go over them as well as use examples from the exercises. She needs the concepts "taught". So, with your background, you should be fine. BTW, she used BJU Pre-Algebra last year and found it to be easy; so this is definitely a step up for her in challenge and rigor.

From the recommendations of Jann in TX, this is what I bought:

Lial's Introductory Algebra, 8th ed. (student text) ISBN 0321279212

Lial's Introductory Algebra Annotated Instructor's Edition, 8th ISBN 0321285859 (has answers to all problems, but no solutions)

Student Solutions Manual, 8th ed ISBN 0321285808 (has odds for section exercises, all for ch & summary reviews & tests)

DVT--digital video tutor (haven't used this yet, but for us, I thought it might be handy to have; you may not need it)

I bought all 4 items used on Amazon for a total of $42, which I thought was a great deal. If money is super tight, I guess I'd say just get the student text and solutions manual for the bare minimum requirements. Hopefully, others will help you with Alg 2.

HTH,

Jennifer

Another great resource for Lial's is Interact Math. It doesn't have to match the edition you have. The website supports the 10th edition.

http://interactmath.com/ChapterContents.aspx

I have the 3rd edition of the precalculus textbook and the edition that interact math supports is the 4th, but there are just a few differences in the TOC between the two books (a couple of sections that are either combined or split into two parts). The order is exactly the same. I don't see any problem with using Interact Math for a different edition.

I wanted to warn you that the used DVTs might not be supported by current windows editions.

Another great resource for Lial's is Interact Math. It doesn't have to match the edition you have. The website supports the 10th edition.

http://interactmath.com/ChapterContents.aspx

I have the 3rd edition of the precalculus textbook and the edition that interact math supports is the 4th, but there are just a few differences in the TOC between the two books (a couple of sections that are either combined or split into two parts). The order is exactly the same. I don't see any problem with using Interact Math for a different edition.

I wanted to warn you that the used DVTs might not be supported by current windows editions.

I an not the op, but thanks for posting this link!

Amy,

From the recommendations of Jann in TX, this is what I bought:

Lial's Introductory Algebra, 8th ed. (student text) ISBN 0321279212

Lial's Introductory Algebra Annotated Instructor's Edition, 8th ISBN 0321285859 (has answers to all problems, but no solutions)

Student Solutions Manual, 8th ed ISBN 0321285808 (has odds for section exercises, all for ch & summary reviews & tests)

HTH,

Jennifer

Thank you so much for the ISBN numbers. I've already found all 3 for under $30 including shipping. I'm at my inlaws, and their computer is very old and they don't have a printer. I'm going to wait until I get home to actually make the purchases online.