Menu

Exploration Education- which level?

I've decided to give Exploration Education a go this year. Which level would you purchase for the 5th grader?

I'm wondering if I can get the advanced and skip the parts (if any) that are too hard for her or if I should get the standard and beef it up if necessary? I'm not entirely clear how it works so I don't know if the advanced simply has lessons added on or if it is all harder overall.- can someone answer this for me?

From what I've read here, the reviews are pretty good. Anybody have any reasons why I shouldn't buy this before I go ahead and do so?

Also, I've asked this on the K-8 board, but has anybody here used the Elementary level for the younger crowd (2nd grade)? Does it do a good job and is it worth the money or should I stick with something like NOEO or ES? The sample seems a bit babyish but I don't want to push that child too hard. Thoughts?

I've decided to give Exploration Education a go this year. Which level would you purchase for the 5th grader?

I'm wondering if I can get the advanced and skip the parts (if any) that are too hard for her or if I should get the standard and beef it up if necessary? I'm not entirely clear how it works so I don't know if the advanced simply has lessons added on or if it is all harder overall.- can someone answer this for me?

From what I've read here, the reviews are pretty good. Anybody have any reasons why I shouldn't buy this before I go ahead and do so?

Also, I've asked this on the K-8 board, but has anybody here used the Elementary level for the younger crowd (2nd grade)? Does it do a good job and is it worth the money or should I stick with something like NOEO or ES? The sample seems a bit babyish but I don't want to push that child too hard. Thoughts?

Jane,

I have two ds using EE: 6th grade and 3rd grade. I bought the advanced version. The 6th grader was my primary focus; the 3rd grader "tags-along". They work well together.

I require the boys to do days 1,2, and 3 every week. They can read and do these experiments mostly independently. They are required to read days 4 and 5 and do those experiments IF they can. If days 4 and 5 are too involved, we move on. Dh gets involved with these projects when he can, and that has been a help... he is a mechanical engineer.

I started out this year helping my sons to show them how EE works. We built the racer together. After that, the boys have been able to read, understand, and follow directions mostly independently. We check all answers together to make sure they are getting the concepts.

I am glad that I purchased the advanced version, but my sons are not necessarily getting to all of the experiments. Some of the ones at the end of the week are too involved for independent work. I work more closely with my 8th grade dd, and so I REALLY appreciate that the boys can use EE mostly independently.

I looked at the primary version of EE with my youngest in mind, but it would not have been a good fit.... too cartoonish. He likes things that are "real"... since he is the youngest and has been around his older siblings, he just prefers more mature content.

The advanced version is quite challenging for a 6th grader IF you have them do all 5 days and fill out all the lab reports. There are also quarter tests that are challenging for this age. I'm going to give these tests to my 6th grader as open-book tests because I want him to get used to testing. I hope to have him ready for tests/work load for 7th grade, so this year is his year to get used to more work/tests. I purchased the advanced version because I wanted him to be able to enjoy the FUN of working on extra projects. My 6th grader loves science and working with his hands. He LOVES Legos.... designing and building, so I was pretty sure he would love EE.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to try to help! We all love EE, and I highly recommend it especially for science-loving kids.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
Clarification

For the extra $20, I went with the advanced. My 5th grader is really only using it as standard right now (using days 1-3), but I'm hoping to get to days 4-5 either sometimes on Fridays or the weekends when I can work with her a little more (and bring in the older two for some fun hands-on). Or maybe even over the summer. The extra $20 got me three extra projects - dd's had so much fun with the little racer so far, I'm sure we'll have fun with these even if she only gets to do "standard" level as her actual science this year.

And it's totally independent, which is great.

Jane,

I have two ds using EE: 6th grade and 3rd grade. I bought the advanced version. The 6th grader was my primary focus; the 3rd grader "tags-along". They work well together.

I require the boys to do days 1,2, and 3 every week. They can read and do these experiments mostly independently. They are required to read days 4 and 5 and do those experiments IF they can. If days 4 and 5 are too involved, we move on. Dh gets involved with these projects when he can, and that has been a help... he is a mechanical engineer.

I started out this year helping my sons to show them how EE works. We built the racer together. After that, the boys have been able to read, understand, and follow directions mostly independently. We check all answers together to make sure they are getting the concepts.

I am glad that I purchased the advanced version, but my sons are not necessarily getting to all of the experiments. Some of the ones at the end of the week are too involved for independent work. I work more closely with my 8th grade dd, and so I REALLY appreciate that the boys can use EE mostly independently.

I looked at the primary version of EE with my youngest in mind, but it would not have been a good fit.... too cartoonish. He likes things that are "real"... since he is the youngest and has been around his older siblings, he just prefers more mature content.

The advanced version is quite challenging for a 6th grader IF you have them do all 5 days and fill out all the lab reports. There are also quarter tests that are challenging for this age. I'm going to give these tests to my 6th grader as open-book tests because I want him to get used to testing. I hope to have him ready for tests/work load for 7th grade, so this year is his year to get used to more work/tests. I purchased the advanced version because I wanted him to be able to enjoy the FUN of working on extra projects. My 6th grader loves science and working with his hands. He LOVES Legos.... designing and building, so I was pretty sure he would love EE.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to try to help! We all love EE, and I highly recommend it especially for science-loving kids.

Thanks for this info!!

One more question: Did you buy just one kit or 2 of the advanced? I can't tell if I need one for each child or if they can get away with sharing the supplies since they are doing it at the same time.

Thanks for this info!!

One more question: Did you buy just one kit or 2 of the advanced? I can't tell if I need one for each child or if they can get away with sharing the supplies since they are doing it at the same time.

One is enough. The interaction between the two kids is effective, priceless, and precious! They work and have a great time together!:001_smile: