Menu

Using OPGTR and Explode the Code?

BrookValley.

We're using the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and, because my son likes to do worksheet-type stuff, I purchased the 3 pre-Explode the Code primers (Get Ready for the Code, etc.) to go along with them. I'd heard several glowing reviews about Explode the Code around the 'ol internets, and flipping through them they do seem to be the type of activities that my son likes to do. However, I'm kind of wondering if they really mesh well with OPGTR, because they do not introduce the letters in the same order? Does this matter, or am I over-thinking things? My son already knows all of his letters and has a pretty good grasp of most letter sounds, but we've started OPGTR at the beginning. OPGTR introduces short vowel sounds first; vowels are not even introduced at all in the first 3 books of the ETC series. OPGTR, after the short vowel sounds, jumps into the consonants and goes through them alphabetically starting with B; ETC book A introduces F, B, M, K, T, & R. Since both books are meant to be used in order from the beginning and build upon previous lessons, I hesitate to throw work in ETC among our work with OPGTR.

Has anyone else used these two together successfully? Any opinions as to why or why not I should use them together?

Thanks!

They are complimentary of each other. We're using both and one reinforces the other. With that though, I am going to hold off on starting ETC2 until after we're partially through beginning blends in OPTGR as ETC flips it and teaches those first. DD has been having a bit of trouble w/some of the ending blends, and I think for her, it would be better to delay ETC2 for a bit. I'll have her do some of the pages from ETC1 1/2 first.

We started OPGTR and after getting about 60 lessons in we added in ETC 1. Never did the primer but we are on ETC3 now and my dd really likes them. Never really had an issue about the order things were laid out. Sometimes they magically coincided; sometimes one appeared later on in the other format so we used it for review, and whichever one had something new we discussed it then and there.

Luke LOVED 'Get Ready,' 'Get Set,' and 'Go!' They worked fine together, even though the order was wrong. I tended to go to ETC on days when I didn't do OPGTR and it was a fun change for him.

I will say, since we've started ETC 1 we've really slacked off. Luke reads now. He is doing handwriting. I don't see the need for ETC anymore, except as something I can turn to when I'm too busy with my older two to get into lessons with Luke.