Menu

Cake decorating - need some help!

DS will be 2 next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to make him a Word World cake. I did a pretty decent job on DS3's Thomas cake, but I used plastic toys instead of colored icing due to DS's sensitivity to food coloring. It seems the plastic Word World toys have been discontinued, and I'm not paying $44 for Duck! So I need to make one. What do I need to get? I need icing that I can roll out long between my hands (like play dough) to write "Happy Birthday" and put CAKE on the side. I would also like to make a Duck out of icing. I'm guessing this is fondant icing? This would be so much easier to hire someone, but that's just not in the budget this year.

I've seen some pictures online of elaborate, tiered cakes, but other than the Duck we only need something small and simple. There will only be 7-8 eating the cake.

Any help from experienced decorators would be appreciated!

As long as there are no nut allergies, you might find marzipan easier to model than fondant. Bonus--marzipan is yummy almond flavour, while fondant is kinda ick.

Treat either of them like playdough. Roll out, model, even paint with food colouring after modeling, or add bits of food colouring to the "dough" before you model different parts.

Marshmallow fondant is super easy to make but may make more than you need.

You can sculpt cake decorations out of the fruity Tootsie Rolls and Starburst candy just as easily and the color is already added. Just work the candy in your hands until you can easily shape it. It is a little sticky so you can use either corn starch or crisco to keep that under control. :001_smile:

As long as there are no nut allergies, you might find marzipan easier to model than fondant. Bonus--marzipan is yummy almond flavour, while fondant is kinda ick.

Treat either of them like playdough. Roll out, model, even paint with food colouring after modeling, or add bits of food colouring to the "dough" before you model different parts.

I'd need to buy twice as much marzipan than I needed- I find myself nibbling as I work.

Wilton fondant is very easy to work with - it's just like playdough. You can also get it in small multi-color packs, which is convenient. It tastes pretty bad, though.

If you have a cake supply store nearby, Pettinice or Satin Ice brands taste much better.

Homemade marshmallow fondant is good, too, but can be a little more difficult to work with for sculpting.

:iagree:

Duff Goldman fondant is pretty yummy, too. I think it's about $10-$14 per tub, though. It comes in already colored tubs, or I think you can get it in white. Our store never has the white in stock, though. :glare:

I am by no means the experienced cake decorator that you asked for, but in my meager attempts to do character-themed cakes, I've discovered that my young children are equally delighted by clip art images that I've printed off, glued onto card stock, and inserted with lollipop sticks into cakes or cupcakes. If you do cupcakes, you could even make cupcake wrappers to decorate the sides ... no fondant or new cake decorating techniques to master! Just a thought ...

I am by no means the experienced cake decorator that you asked for, but in my meager attempts to do character-themed cakes, I've discovered that my young children are equally delighted by clip art images that I've printed off, glued onto card stock, and inserted with lollipop sticks into cakes or cupcakes. If you do cupcakes, you could even make cupcake wrappers to decorate the sides ... no fondant or new cake decorating techniques to master! Just a thought ...

I don't have any ink in the printer, lol. But if the fondant is a fail, I'll go get some color ink and try this!

Thanks all, we'll see how this turns out!