Menu

need help quick...making vanilla

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304026&highlight=homemade+vanilla

According to the thread that ran in August regarding the same topic, I would say you have enough time - but you need to get started. I am going to get started this week.

The link to the August thread is above -- it mentions two months, so we are 'right there' essentially - so to speak:tongue_smilie:....as these things go.:001_huh:

They will be done by Christmas, but if you leave a bean in the bottled gifts, they continue to get better/darken.

I always use vodka, scrape the beans with a knife and turn vs. shaking and of course keep it in a dark cupboard.

if I wanted to make vanilla yet for Christmas presents, can I put the solution in smaller jars to make the process go faster...or does it really not make a difference whether I put all of my beans and vadka in a big jar or several small ones? THANKS!!

And...will it be done by Christmas???

BUT my other question was...does it get done faster if I put a few beans in smaller jars of vodka....or will it take the same amount of time if I put all of the beans in one big jar? Does that make sense??? I do the Heavenly Homemaker thing too....LOVE her...but she says to put all of the beans in one big jar and then it takes like 4 months...well...I don't' have 4 months....so would it go faster in smaller jars??? THANKS!!!

BUT my other question was...does it get done faster if I put a few beans in smaller jars of vodka....or will it take the same amount of time if I put all of the beans in one big jar? Does that make sense??? I do the Heavenly Homemaker thing too....LOVE her...but she says to put all of the beans in one big jar and then it takes like 4 months...well...I don't' have 4 months....so would it go faster in smaller jars??? THANKS!!!

I did read on HH's website that if you don't have 4 months, it's okay. I am going to add to my label on the bottle:

Best if used AFTER 2/2012

That means everyone can use it for Valentine's Day cookies.

The other websites I've checked say two months -- with the little statement about using it after 2/2012, I figure I am covered.

I didn't make mine in one huge jar either. I made mine is several small jars. And it took just as long for it to get done. It won't matter if you divide it up or not but yes, it will take just as long. I would think that if you gave them as gifts then you should do as others have suggested and leave some beans in and just let them know to let them sit a little longer if they want a nicer flavor and darker color.

I just wasn't planning on giving away the beans...I really wanted to use them for more vanilla or vanilla sugar.

You really should keep a small bean in each jar when you give it away. I made it last Christmas and the extra bottles that have continued to age (with a vanilla bean inside) are waaaaaay better now. It was fine at Christmas, but truly excellent now. So much darker and stronger than before.

Plus, as far as presentation goes, it looks much nicer with the bean and since the vanilla will be used as gifts I'd keep them in there.