Menu

sinusitis - anything for relief?

I haven't had this for a few years, but it is back with a vegence today. I feel like I constantly have something down the back of my throat. My upper cheeks are tight and the only bit of relief I get is when I pull the skin taut across my upper cheeks. Anything I can do to get that feeling out of my throat? It is driving me crazy!

I usually use sudafed, the regular red box, behind the pharmacy counter sudafed. It's the only one that works reliably for me.

Are you using a neti pot for nasal irrigation? You can add a /14 tsp baking soda to it OR1 drop of grapefruit seed extract OR 1 packet of xylitol.

I have a prescription for astelin, it is an antihistamine for the nose, it's a nose spray. It's really nasty stuff, but dries up my sinuses and nose nicely. I usually only need a few days a year.

If you go the afrin route, make sure you follow the instructions. you don't want the rebound effect from that one!

I also find it helpful to use an oral antihistamine. I use zyrtec unless I'm really dried out (in which case I use allegra).

I've battled with allergies and sinus issues for the last 25 years so this is the list of the things that help me. I hope some of it will work for you!

I purchased a humidifier for my dd and I have been keeping it next to my bed!! I love it. It really helps me. If you don't have one, I bought the elephant one from Crane...but they work very well. I also only take Sudafed in the box over the counter. Psudopehdrine not PE. The one at Sams club is the cheapest...but that is the only thing that works. I also drink lots of water or juice. Hot soups help too! My husband uses 3 days of Nostrilla...but It I try not to use those. Try cold or hot packs on your face too. Those help. and hot baths.

More effective than antibiotics, salt can prevent sinus problems in the first place. Combine ½ teaspoon of non-iodized salt (or ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon baking soda) in a cup of lukewarm water and use this mixture in a sterile eyedropper or neti pot.

Rinse your nasal passages twice a day until the infection clears—or whenever you feel sinus pain starting up again. If your throat is sore too, gargle with warm salt water.

Many aromatherapy oils—eucalyptus, oregano, tea tree, and thyme are helpful. Use one of these healing essential oils in a room diffuser or add a few drops to your bath water—the steam will help keep your sinuses clear.

Soak in warm bath – steamy air helps to drain and thin the sinuses

Saline nose drops

Nasal Sprays such as Xlear

Eucalyptus Oil – found in Vicks Vapo Rub – clears even the most stubborn congestion. Put a couple of drops on a tissue, and hold it near your nose. Take 4-5 deep breaths to pull the vapors far into your lungs. If the congestion returns, replenish the oil.

OR

Put a few drops of the oil into a bowl of steaming water, cover your head with a towel, and hold your head over the bowl.

Humming can clear sinuses. Hum several times a day.

Sinupret Plus is good if you continually suffer from sinus infections.

Lay off dairy for one month or so

Homeopathic Remedy – Belladonna

BOOKS

“What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Sinusitis†by Alan Hirsch

“The Sinus Cure†by Murray Grossan

Low-level congestion and pain – try a saline spray – such as Simply Saline Sterile Nasal Mist

More advanced sinusitis symptoms – pressure, intense pain, difficulty sleeping – try irrigation

Bettipot.com

Don’t use a spray containing oxymetazoline for more than 5 days in a row. Never exceed the recommended dosage. These nasal sprays can exacerbate symptoms.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of sinusitis. yogajournal.com is a great site with poses for different conditions.

Thanks so much everyone! I don't have a neti-pot but I have a squeezy thing made by the same company. I tried it but couldn't get it to work properly. A few times the water passed where it was supposed to, but mostly it just came back out the nostril I was putting it into. My mom told me after that I was supposed to tilt my head. I'll try it again later today.

I find because I'm having difficulty swallowing and breathing properly that I am clenching my teeth and somehow "sucking" my cheeks in. It has caused some sort of canker sore or something on my tongue. What a pain!

Hopefully one of your suggestions will speed this along! THanks!

On youtube there are videos teaching how to use both the neti pot and the sinus squeeze bottle (which I use daily).

I think all the PPs covered all the bases. I use the Old School Sudafed (the one that has the two pill dose). The new stuff does nothing for me.

Also, consider Mucinex. Although that is more directed to the chest, it does seem to help my sinuses. It's a different formula than Sudafed so you can take both at the same time.

And if you need, take Pepto bismol if your tummy gets upset from all that awful drainage.

If you have narrow nostrils, use Breathe Right strips. At least at night. The adhesive is strong but I think they now have a sensitive skin one. Or use some oil to help remove it.

Drink lots of fluid and rest. When I rest a lot I can whoop a sinus infection and when I fail to rest, I end up at the doctor's office. Even though you are trying to rest, try to get up and walk around some because that different position helps knock the junk loose.

Warm compresses on your sinuses and eyes help relieve the pressure and pain.

Keep an eye on your general condition. If you get flu-y or feverish, give it a day or two and then go to the doctor. It's easier to beat an infection if you attack it earlier. If you wait a while, a sinus infection can turn into bronchitis (takes weeks to feel better) or pneumonia (can take months to feel better). A couple of times I have waited too long, gone to the doctor with a sinus infection, only to be told that yes, my sinuses are infected, but I have pneumonia too (and I thought the coughing was just drainage???). I learned my lesson.

A little yellowy drainage is okay, especially the first thing in the morning, but if the drainage gets darker, chunkier, nasty tasting drainage, you probably need antibiotics.

OTC stuff just doesn't do it for me--I either have to have a prescription for something to "unstuff" me or I get the claritin/loratidine D stuff (have to have prescription for that too these days)---and it's soooo hard for the pharmacies to get it for me (the generic claritin stuff)--I have major sinus pressure problems daily....have alot of sinus infections/sinusitis.....

I get it frequently enough ( I have sjogren's syndrome and that means my immune system attacks the exocrine glands like salivary, mucus,etc and so I have a lot less moisture and mucus is very thick). Anyway, other than antibiotics (I am on immune suppressants so I inevitably get a bacterial infection too), I use the real sudafed (have to ask the pharmacist and sign the log), mucinex, and keep taking my pain pills. I also use saline sprays and hot showers.