Menu

Any Atlanta parents use this program...

Westridge Academy Independent Studies (formerly Orchard Academy)? If you use it, are they accredited to be eligible for the HOPE scholarship? Have you graduated a child under their program and had any problems?

It looks like an easy way to get a transcript and diploma. My parents are concerned that my dd is going to have trouble getting into college, so they are offering to pay for her to be in a program that will be accredited.

Thanks!

i'm in walton county, and i just scoured the website for orchard. i don't find georgia a particularly homeschool-friendly state when it comes to the standards set by the georgia board of regents for state colleges admittance. i don't know if having the accreditation would be helpful, but since the georgia accrediting commission is owned by the university of georgia i don't think it could hurt!

orchard looks like they use bob jones, abeka and other standard curriculum that you have to purchase, so for me it wouldn't be worth the added expense of paying the school on top of that. we already use bju online for 3 courses and videotext and rosetta stone homeschool, so i feel like we already pay tuition;)

also, the math and science requirements seem a little light to me, but i have a future med school-bound son, so we are going more in depth.

this is my first year homeschooling, and my family thinks we are nuts and will destroy my son's chances for getting into college, but i know that's just based on their lack of knowledge.

i'm in walton county, and i just scoured the website for orchard. i don't find georgia a particularly homeschool-friendly state when it comes to the standards set by the georgia board of regents for state colleges admittance. i don't know if having the accreditation would be helpful, but since the georgia accrediting commission is owned by the university of georgia i don't think it could hurt!

orchard looks like they use bob jones, abeka and other standard curriculum that you have to purchase, so for me it wouldn't be worth the added expense of paying the school on top of that. we already use bju online for 3 courses and videotext and rosetta stone homeschool, so i feel like we already pay tuition;)

also, the math and science requirements seem a little light to me, but i have a future med school-bound son, so we are going more in depth.

this is my first year homeschooling, and my family thinks we are nuts and will destroy my son's chances for getting into college, but i know that's just based on their lack of knowledge.

Thanks for your thoughts. I emailed the director before looking into the accreditation part, and she emailed me back that you can use whatever you choose. The curricula list is for suggestions. Most of what I'm using is not on the list, and I had emailed her a detailed description of what dd is doing this year. The programs I'm finding in my area mostly want you to use curriculum on their list.

I was a little confused on the list of graduation requirements because why would you have life science as well as biology. I'm wondering if the list is incorrect because none of the curricula they list have a separate life science course for high school, but Apologia does have Marine Biology if that would be what counts.

The Board of Regents is my concern because they are not on this list. Hopefully there will be someone here who is using it and can shed some light on their reliability.

The Board of Regents is my concern because they are not on this list. Hopefully there will be someone here who is using it and can shed some light on their reliability.

They are accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission which is on the list you reference. To see for yourself, go to the GAC site, click on Non-Traditional Education Centers and you can find Westridge on the list.

We've signed up this year, dh has the same concerns as your parents. There are some hoops to jump through...you need to take the ITBS every year, and you have to have a portfolio review at least once a year, and they expect the courses to be the ones GA requires for college prep diploma.

But you can pick your own curriculum and teach those classes however you like. We felt like we would rather jump through those small hoops each year, instead of bigger ones with the state colleges when ds graduates. It's not necessary in Georgia, but we think it was the right answer for us.

Be careful when you read the requirements for graduation. They do have an onsite school and the requirements for those students are different from the Independent Studies students. The onsite students do have very specific classes they have to take.

A couple more things:

You have to take 4 science classes. I think those courses listed are what is offered onsite. As an ISP student, you can choose different science classes. I think one must be Biology (and maybe at least two or three must include labs, I can't remember on that. It's whatever the state requires.)

Your student will qualify for HOPE as long as she makes the grade. The school is accredited.

A couple more things:

You have to take 4 science classes. I think those courses listed are what is offered onsite. As an ISP student, you can choose different science classes. I think one must be Biology (and maybe at least two or three must include labs, I can't remember on that. It's whatever the state requires.)

Your student will qualify for HOPE as long as she makes the grade. The school is accredited.

Thank you so much. I didn't realize about the ITBS, but that's no problem other than cost because I'm a certified tester. Graduation requirements in all GA schools are now 4 science credits, so I would guess that she would have to do 4 to get in just about anywhere. She's doing Integrated Chemistry and Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and we're undecided about the 4th.

Thank you so much. I didn't realize about the ITBS, but that's no problem other than cost because I'm a certified tester. Graduation requirements in all GA schools are now 4 science credits, so I would guess that she would have to do 4 to get in just about anywhere. She's doing Integrated Chemistry and Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and we're undecided about the 4th.

Graduation requirements in GA are four sciences with one being a life science. Chemistry is not required to graduate high school, but it is required for admission to GA Tech. I just wanted to clarify that.

The school is on the up and up. You should have no problems if you choose to go this route. I have been to an open house and 4H club meetings there. Cara, the director, is very nice and easy to talk with. We are planning on dual enrolling our children in college and the independant program at Westridge when the time comes.