Menu

HELP with Science

Hi everyone,

This is my first year homeschooling and I am learning a great deal. I now realize that I picked some curriculum(s) that aren't working. I really dislike the science curriculum I bought for this year. My girls are ages 4, 5, 6 and the baby is 1. My oldest 2 are very bright, and I think my 2nd DD is gifted. Anyway, that being said I wanted a faith based curriculum so I picked Apologia Astronomy Junior. It is WAY too much for us this year. Maybe it will be usable someday, but not for at least 2 years.

So, now my dilemma.... Do I skip science all together this year? I hate to do that, but I don't have anything else to use. I have looked into creating my own unit studies but it is too time intensive this first year for me. I want something easy to pick up and just do science but fun. I want it to be not too time consuming. I know that is probably asking too much, right? I just don't know what to do, now. I am so overwhelmed with schooling this year, that making my own science curriculum is too daunting.

I have looked into Nancy Larson Science 1, even though it isn't faith based, but it is so so so pricey. I don't think I can afford to buy much since I already spent on the first program. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Check out prontolessons.com...It is not faith based but simple and scripted and the kids are getting science. It is pretty basic. AND BEST OF ALL, IT IS FREE! I am using it for my two fourth graders and 2nd grader who is really more like a first grader.

You can print out additional information or worksheets from the web. You don;t need any books or materials per se but you can add whatever you have laying around someone gave me some old Abeka science textbooks and we read a few pages of those corresponding to the topics. Very little prep time. I utilized it earlier in the year when we were living in a hotel temporarily.

And you can throw in some activities from one of the science books found in the library.

Now I have older kids 4th graders and they need some more challenging work. I have been finding a few harder worksheets but in general not much so.....

once we finish the life science section I will be adding Creek Edge Press tasks cards for them to dig a little deeper during our free period time. And some Science in a Nutshell kits. Again none of these are faith based.

Our regular science time will continue using a different curriculum that I bought(Elemental Chemistry) but currently is too hard for them as it requires a lot of handwriting. Maybe I should have gotten the Real Odyssey science instead.

Well, when we were using BJU Science, I was really happy with that. There is some reading, a scripted lesson, and an experiment with each lesson. You can even buy a kit that has all your supplies just for that curriculum.

That said, when I switched to BFSU, I was so much happier. It is not faith-based, but it also does not go into anything controversial, either. It has a much more logical progression and attempts to show how all of the lessons are inter-related. The author personally answers all questions on the Yahoo Group. And best of all, it is 1/3 the price BJU!

At those ages I would not worry about a formal curriculum this year. Instead I would keep a good supply of science books from the library and allow the kids to follow whatever scientific rabbit trails they desire. It will give you a chance to get your other core subjects in a groove. During this time you can see where your kids' interests in science lie which you can use to your advantage later.

We are using Apologia Astronomy this year as well. The information can be a bit much for my first grader at times, but he is definitely retaining some of the information and he loves the activities. If the content is just too much, I would pick sections to read, supplement with some library books, and do some of the activities. Ds enjoyed the Magic Treehouse book that takes place in space. You could also get More Mudpies to Magnets (I think it's pretty cheap) and do some earth science experiments plus more library books if you don't want to do astronomy all year.

I would just spend some time reading from Lets Read and Find Out science books. Here is a place that has a simple plan for this.

Or you could do a WTM-style first grace science by working through a children's nature encyclopedia and reading about the human body. My kids did coloring pages, and I write their narrations on the pages. We made a "Biology" notebook of this for first grade.

Tara