Menu

What is this pain in my hand? Some kind of neuralgia?

My left hand is puffy and very tender around my thumb, wrist and "heel". The pain feels skin/flesh deep - as in, not in the bones. I'm certain that I have not injured it - and it's my left hand, so I haven't overused it in anyway.. It feels like a bruise, and hurts worse when I am washing dishes. It hurts to hold some things (like a broom) because it presses against the sore place on my hand.

It is not red, just slightly puffy, and has been hurting for four days. Any ideas??

I have carpal tunnel and my hands will literally ache when I mop or sweep or stir something for more than a few mins-if it's really bad it will even hurt when I hold onto the steering wheel to drive-or hold a book open.....my hands are puffy (but I tend to retain fluid easily).....my hands/arms will ache and cramp.....not sure if it is similar to your symptoms but just thought I'd reply.....

My left hand is puffy and very tender around my thumb, wrist and "heel". The pain feels skin/flesh deep - as in, not in the bones. I'm certain that I have not injured it - and it's my left hand, so I haven't overused it in anyway.. It feels like a bruise, and hurts worse when I am washing dishes. It hurts to hold some things (like a broom) because it presses against the sore place on my hand.

It is not red, just slightly puffy, and has been hurting for four days. Any ideas??

Maybe Carpel Tunnel or a Tendonitis??? Are you on the computer a lot? Hope you figure it out, it sounds painful!

Marisa

Hmm... Wouldn't carpal tunnel be more likely in my right hand, which I use a lot more? The pain is only skin and flesh deep. There's no pain with movement.

When I had carpal tunnel many years ago, it was in my left hand. Weird, I know.

Hope you're feeling some relief :grouphug:. If you still feel pain or if you know it's carpal, I can post some tips here.

In the meantime, magnesium and B6 should help.

There are also wrist exercises you can search for online.

Went to the doctor today. I'm feeling kinda bummed - he thinks it may be rheumatoid arthritis. I had some bloodwork done and will probably find out by the end of the week. I googled RA and reading about it gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. :( Sigh... I know there are worse things in life, though...

He said I also have Raynaud's Syndrome, which I had already figured. That doesn't bother me too much - it's more of a nuisance than anything.

Thanks for the replies.

Updating... Dr. just called & said my rheumatoid factor (?) was normal but my ANA was high, indicating some kind of autoimmune thing happening. He said it could be rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or maybe even a virus triggering this kind of response. So I really don't know a whole lot more, but have an appointment with a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks.

My hand is still hurting. I'm really trying not to take anything for it unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for reading.