Menu

Suggestions for French?

GingerPoppy

In the part of Canada where I live now (Ontario), all of the students take French for 40 minutes a day minimum. Some of them choose to do French Immersion or even French school.

In the part of Canada where I grew up (Alberta), we were not required to take French. I chose German as an elective from middle school and up.

I pulled my daughter from grade 4 last year toward the end, so I figured we could take a 3 month break from French without a problem--after all, she really doesn't like it, and I find she's learned next to NO French at all during her 4 1/2 + years of public school.

Anyway, the time has come to buckle down and put French into our homeschooling program. Unfortunately, due to my Albertan upbringing, I can't teach it to her. So, I'm looking for a program that allows her to be mostly self-teaching. This would probably be a computer-based program. I'd like to learn it alongside her, if possible.

So, any recommendations for a strong, self-teaching, FUN/engaging, visual French program that would turn my French-hating daughter into at least someone who can enjoy the process of learning it? If she goes back to public school at some point, I'd like her to be solid in this area.

Thanks!

Good idea, but I simply can't afford to hire a tutor for us. What I'm really hoping for is a program that really lays it out with very little teacher prep--basically open and go, or turn on and go.

Anybody have any experience with language learning computer programs? Doesn't matter if it was in a different language; many of those companies do multiple languages. Any good programs?

Oh, btw my daughter is 9.

This is not a computer based program, but the teaching could be very low-key. I like to be highly involved, so that I can learn too. :001_smile: But, it could be used more independently.

We're using L'Art de Lire (roughly grades 3-8) which has 6 levels in workbooks. Nallenart is the site where the original author sells the books. They do include audio cds and I highly recommend them, especially if you want this to be more independent. Nallenart has had some issues with being available lately (I think I read the author has been sick.) You can order them from other places. I used Learning House. These books are from Canada. I'll look for the link and post it here in a minute.

http://www.learninghouse.ca/index.php

http://nallenart.com/french/fsl-curriculum-shop?aff=4

Edited by Kfamily

This is not a computer based program, but the teaching could be very low-key. I like to be highly involved, so that I can learn too. :001_smile: But, it could be used more independently.

We're using L'Art de Lire (roughly grades 3-8) which has 6 levels in workbooks. Nallenart is the site where the original author sells the books. They do include audio cds and I highly recommend them, especially if you want this to be more independent. Nallenart has had some issues with being available lately (I think I read the author has been sick.) You can order them from other places. I used Learning House. These books are from Canada. I'll look for the link and post it here in a minute.

http://www.learninghouse.ca/index.php

http://nallenart.com/french/fsl-curriculum-shop?aff=4

This is what we are using also. My dd is enjoying it. I worked with her in the beginning until she was familiar with the program, and now she is able to work independently. We are looking in to Auralog's Tell Me More French for the future.

We use Nallenart as well and my daughter just started translating kids books from the library/used book store that we pick out. Considering that you're in Ontario you should be able to find books for that. For that you need a very good French/English dictionary. I plan on getting a good French Grammar book as well.

I started my daughter on Level 1 a couple of years ago which was obviously for kids much younger then her but she's whizzed through to 3 now and is almost ready for 4. I let her skip some of the stuff, like drawing, that's geared to much younger kids.

I know lots of folks like the CD programs but for Canadian kids especially I think it's important to have a much better understanding of French then those can offer. They make a great supplement but I don't think that by themselves they're sufficient. I might try one with my daughter so she can get some more help with pronunciation but I also happen to have a few folks from Quebec in my life that might be able to help with that as well.