Menu

Suggest a Reading "program" for 4/5 child

DragonflyAcademy

I have a nearly 5 year old who is eager to "Do school" like his older siblings. We did letter of the week last year along with LOTS of crafts.. He listened in for much of the phonogram lessons his older siblings received last year (we did PR) and this year we are doing AAR Pre Level 1 and he is enjoying it..

He is starting to ask "what does this say" and point to words.. He is also trying to sounds things out.. often just getting the first sound..but it shows interest and awareness that printed words mean something..

His fine motor is not that great, we are doing lots of mazes, cutting, tracing, stringing beads etc.

I was thinking of starting him in OPGTR but wondered if there was another program we could look into. DD used OPGTR in K and did learn to read but her fluency is not where I wish it would be..it is improving..but I wonder..

We have BOB books and early readers...

DO I try him in AAS level 1? AAR level 1 is not ready.. I looked at PAL but I don't like things i need to watch a DVD to reference what to do.. or to print tons of things off the computer...

Any early pre reader/reader programs you loved for little wiggly kiddos..that don't cost an arm and a leg?

My 5.5 yr old is a little ahead of yours (reading CVC words when prompted) but I don't think that will matter. She doesn't particularly care for OPGTR and is stuck with HOP Kindergarten (too many sight words.) What is working is the online version of Explode the Code (I do not like the books for my kids because they require too much writing for them) and she really likes it. It is on sale through the homeschool buyers co-op (google it).