Menu

Question about Draw and Write through History

Mama2Many4

I was looking at getting the first book, "Creation through Jonah" and I'm put off because of the beginning of the book. The comment about evolution not being a fact, and that everything was created in a literal six days. Also saying that man and dinosaur lived at the same time. Ridiculous!

As a Catholic Christian, I do hold the viewpoint that the earth is old and evolution is most likely how things occurred. Is there some other sort of series that is set up this way but not religious? Or should I just use it for the pictures and not the teachings? :lurk5:

I was looking at getting the first book, "Creation through Jonah" and I'm put off because of the beginning of the book. The comment about evolution not being a fact, and that everything was created in a literal six days. Also saying that man and dinosaur lived at the same time. Ridiculous!

As a Catholic Christian, I do hold the viewpoint that the earth is old and evolution is most likely how things occurred. Is there some other sort of series that is set up this way but not religious? Or should I just use it for the pictures and not the teachings? :lurk5:

I'm trying to say this gently, but you do know that there are people here on the boards (including me) that do believe that the earth and everything in it was literally created in six days and that man and dinosaurs lived at the same time, don't you?

I have the book in question, you could probably just use the drawing portions for the first few weeks, after that the copywork probably will be acceptable because it moves past the creation issue and into the more common Old Testament Bible stories.

I'm trying to say this gently, but you do know that there are people here on the boards (including me) that do believe that the earth and everything in it was literally created in six days and that man and dinosaurs lived at the same time, don't you?

I have the book in question, you could probably just use the drawing portions for the first few weeks, after that the copywork probably will be acceptable because it moves past the creation issue and into the more common Old Testament Bible stories.

To the bolded, I do know that, and meant no harm by what I said. It's simply my belief that science tells me that man and dinosaur couldn't occupy the same earth at the same time and survive. I know others believe otherwise, it's just what I believe. Thanks for the tips about just using the art though. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I have the book, too, and after the first part, I can't think of anything else that would be difficult to work around. The art lessons are really nice and my daughter enjoys using them to help with her notebooking pictures. We haven't always used the copywork, but it is nice to have.

This is an excellent example of "take what works and leave the rest", IMO. I don't know that I would throw this out for just the first page and miss all the rest of the good stuff!

I think the drawings in this series are great. But I really wouldn't use any of it as our history text.

same here.. we use it for drawing for our notebooking. and to give practice in reading cursive. We don't even do it as copywork. and I'm on the YE side of the equation. giggle giggle.

definitely a pick the parts that are helpful. don't feel the need to draw everything in the book. skip the copywork, or use it as cursive reading practice. ignore sections that don't fit. but the whole chpt 1-11 of Genesis is such a tiny portion of this book and series, it's an ok thing.

-crystal

:iagree:with the fact that you shouldn't have to change books just because of the first few chapters. I would add that being on the young earth side I find I often have issues with material in textbooks or non-fiction books at the library and I use those as opportunities to discuss our beliefs with my daughter. It's rare to find a curriculum that lines up with anyone's beliefs across the board and there's a lot of value in having a dialog with your child about the different theories that exist and why you believe a particular one.