Menu

Pet Advice?

Our landlord just gave us special permission for a pet (we are military and will be here another 2.5 years before we make our final and permanent move). This is good news because my children have been wanting a pet for a long, long time!

My husband and I grew up with cats, but we *might* consider a dog if we found one that fit our needs.

Cat option - we want a Cornish Rex (non-shedding). I'm not allergic to cat hair, but I just don't want it anymore. I hate how it got into everything.

Dog options? Does a dog like the following exist? (asking a lot, I know)

- Non-shedding.

- Easy to train. (worried about our rental house and don't want damage)

- Good with mature kids (8.5 and 5)

- Doesn't chew on everything and cause much damage (again, this is a rental!)

It seems the Cornish Rex cat is our best option, but I don't want to close ourselves off to the dog option, if there is one that is suitable to our family. We want a pet that will be part of our family for a long, long, long time and this is why I approach buying a pet as I would any other big, huge decision.

As for a dog, poodles are non-shedding, very intelligent, and pretty easy to train. Any puppy is going to chew though...you'll just have to be diligent in making sure it chews things that are okay.

ITA about poodles. I'd recommend a miniature poodle instead of a toy (standards are probably bigger than what you're looking for).

The only down side with poodles is that they must be groomed. Many people learn to do it themselves.

Also, if you get a dog, look into crate training. Our rescued french bulldog came to us crate-trained, and if I ever have another dog after him, that dog will be crate-trained, too. Crate training keeps you sane. :D

I'd love the cat. Cats are my favorite.:)

I would look for a poodle mix. Or a terrier mix - ours does shed some, but she has a single coat (double coat sheds a lot more) so not much. You would just need to make sure the kind of coat the dog has.

Also you might consider not getting a puppy. We got a young adult dog, about a year and a half old. She is much calmer and had already outgrown most of the puppy inconveniences like chewing. Also she was already potty trained and crate trained when we got her.

Also you might consider not getting a puppy. We got a young adult dog, about a year and a half old. She is much calmer and had already outgrown most of the puppy inconveniences like chewing. Also she was already potty trained and crate trained when we got her.

:iagree: Puppies bite, chew, and take up an immense amount of time. Adult dogs aren't hard to find: Breeders, breed rescue organizations, and shelters are the best places to find them IMO.

First, figure out which breeds you are interested in, of course. Here is a list of light-shedding breeds (some are mixed breeds a/k/a designer dogs): http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

To find out more about specific dog breeds, Google their national club's website. This is a good starting point: http://www.akc.org/

Edited by RoughCollie

I would look for a poodle mix. Or a terrier mix - ours does shed some, but she has a single coat (double coat sheds a lot more) so not much. You would just need to make sure the kind of coat the dog has.

:iagree: Particularly good advice if this is your first dog.

My mom has had 2 teacup poodles and they were ridiculously smart. They didn't shed, but did have to be groomed on a regular basis.

We have a very tiny Maltese (he weighs 4 pounds) and he's (usually) a great dog. We get his long hair shaved off (down to about 1/2") and other than that, he's pretty low maintenance. Oh, wait, except he had to have 7 teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. He only has 4 left, poor thing. He can still eat just fine.

Poodles and Maltese are very affectionate and loyal. They can both be a bit clingy though.

When we get our next dog (our Pekingese is getting very old) we'll be getting a teacup Yorkie. They are sweet and lovable and shed very little (my cousin has one).

We like what we call "scoop and go" dogs, meaning small dogs that you can just pick up and carry if you need to.