Menu

Which Rosemary Sutcliff?

We're doing Rome (and taking a little bit of time to study the Celts during that period) and then of course the fall of Rome - seems like Rosemary Sutcliff wrote a ton of books set in this period! As I doubt my kids will have time to read them all, which ones would you recommend as being the not-miss ones? This would be for my two 13yo dds.

I might try to sneak a couple more in by getting them on audio and listening in the car (then my 10yo would listen along)...

Here are the ones I have listed - an asterisk means I can also get it on audio...

Song for a Dark Queen

Mark of the Horse Lord

The Hound of Ulster

Tristan and Iseult

Outcast *

The Eagle of the Ninth

The Silver Branch*

The Lantern Bearers*

Edited by matroyshka
forgot one!

Eagle of the Ninth. Mainly because it doesn't have as depressing an ending as some of the others, from what I hear. I thought it was going to be boring when I started it, but it was really good. My ds12 LOVED LOVED LOVED it. And it really gave a great feel of that time period. We watched the movie The Eagle and he was sad that it wasn't more true to the book and actually said he liked the book better. That is NOT like my son.

My son also adored Eagle of the 9th. He also read Outcast that same year. I say try for both if possible.

In both cases, he said the book was initially difficult to 'get into' due to her language use. This is the only time my son has said that about an author. I am guessing there is something about Sutcliff that doesn't quite flow with him. However, in both cases, he got past whatever it is and really enjoyed the books. Of all the fiction books he read last year for ancient history, those are the only two I have heard mentioned to others as 'a really good book that you should check out."

My daughter read Song for a Dark Queen last week and decided that Boudicca wasn't nearly as cool as she'd thought she was. She decided that she was just as horrible as the Romans were. I suppose that the realization that brutality happens on both sides of a war is an important one.

She is reading Sword in the Circle, though has had a hard time getting into it.

My son also adored Eagle of the 9th. He also read Outcast that same year. I say try for both if possible.

In both cases, he said the book was initially difficult to 'get into' due to her language use. This is the only time my son has said that about an author. I am guessing there is something about Sutcliff that doesn't quite flow with him. However, in both cases, he got past whatever it is and really enjoyed the books. Of all the fiction books he read last year for ancient history, those are the only two I have heard mentioned to others as 'a really good book that you should check out."

Tell you son I felt the language was hard as well, in the beginning, and I'm a former English major! I almost didn't assign it, but my son was so fascinated by it he made it through the difficult phrasing just fine.

Thanks everyone.

We'll definitely do Eagle of the Ninth - older two can read it, and I'll get it on Playaway for the youngest. The two sequels I can get on audio, so I might do them in the car.

I'll get Outcast on audio, so I think we'll do that.

The other more Celtic ones - I thought we'd definitely do Boudicca, but after reading comments here (and to my xpost on the hs board) I'm not so sure. Might pre-read, but don't know if I have time. Anyone know if Tristan and Iseult is any good? That and Hound of Ulster are from Celtic mythology/legend more than historical? I should probably be able to toss at least one of those in there for them to read if we're doing Outcast on audio...

If you want to get a great one on the Celts by Sutcliff, read Sun Horse, Moon Horse. It made me cry, but it was amazing.

Library had it, so I've added it to the list. :)

Other than Eagle of the Ninth and the audio ones, I'm thinking I might just lay them out in front of them and have them pick whichever strikes their fancy...:tongue_smilie: