Menu

Anybody here have a child outlining from the White Kinfisher?

I'll be honest :o. I never learned outlining in school. I've read and reread TWTM chapter on outlining & dd is currently working through WWS (early weeks still).

I need a bit more hand holding and am hoping that some of you would be willing to help me out.

I'd like to see some real-life examples of outlines from a book that I'm hoping to have dd use. :)

Does anybody have a child who is outlining from the white Kingfisher book who would be able to share those outlines with me (and what pages they outlined so I can compare the text to what a good outline should look like)?

I'd appreciate that so much!

Edited by plain jane

Here is an example from my dd taken last year just after she turned 12yo. It's by no means perfect, but will give you a general idea of what we were aiming for.

Kingfisher pgs 120-121.

The Han Dynasty

I. A Large Empire

A. Han Emperors didn't have much control

1. But they were hungry for lands

B. Emperor Wu Ti added loads more land

II. China Remains Free of Influence

A. China was self sufficient

1. That helped keep their culture unchanged

B. They grew rice

III. Han Emperors Destroy Writings

A. They destroyed writings of the Qin

B. Writings of Confucius were found

1. People who wanted to be public officials had to take

an examination on his writings

IV. China's Han Dynasty & Art

A. Legend has it the empire's cities were pretties in the world

B. China made beautiful things

1. Wooden things

2. Painted objects

3. Silk

Letters 'A', '1', 'B', '1', etc., should all be indented. I couldn't get it to post that way though.

Edited by Michelle O. in MO
Letters 'A', '1', 'B', '1', etc., should all be indented. It didn't come out that way once I posted.

DD11 will be doing outlines from Kingfisher soon - we have the red one, and I've just ordered what I think is the white Kingfisher - can you (or anyone) tell me in what year the white Kingfisher was published?

Mine was published in 1993. It's The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World.

I'd like to see some real-life examples of outlines from a book that I'm hoping to have dd use. :)

I just started outlining the white Kingfisher book with my 5th grade dd. We're by no means experts at it, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it's going (i.e. no tears or throwing of books ;)). Here are couple of her outlines.

Ancient Egypt (p. 26)

I. The Ancient Egyptian Civilization depended on the Nile

II. Pharaoh was ruler of Egypt

III. Egypt also had mechants, preists, and officials.

Mesopotamia and Sumer (pp. 24-25)

I. The Sumerians founded city-states.

II. City-states were organized.

III. Sumerians learned how to write.

IV. We build on Sumer's ideas.

V. Ur created the Babylonian empire.

It's not that one of the books is wrong so much that the white kihw has been out of print for about a decade. You can now ge them cheap used on Amazon but for years they were like hen's teeth.

The current wtm has a couple suggested spines and says to use the one that best suits your kids reading ability.

• 3 weeks later...