Menu

Opinion on Will Durant's Story of Civilization

I have them. Apparently they're not in my library software, because it didn't pull up. I think there are 8 volumes. They're pretty thick reading, but I guess you figured that out from your one. My step-father, who works in a museum and lectures on history regularly, first read them in college and uses them incessantly to prepare speeches. So yes, they'd be fine for you. I've *wondered* if they'll work with dd in high school, but I don't know. I picked them up at a yard sale, the whole box, and have been holding them. I don't touch history like that because, well, I like my brain and don't want to see blood oozing out of it with the attempt. :)

Hmph, I just checked amazon. It says there are 11 volumes. http://www.amazon.com/Story-Civilization-11-Set/dp/1567310230/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316667378&sr=8-1 The reviews list the titles, so you can sort it out for yourself.

BTW, it says in one of the reviews that there's an audio recording of it...

I haven't seen his Story of Civilization, but we have and will be using his Story of Philosophy. The Story of Philosophy looks like a great overview.

That's where I've heard the name, Thanks. We're using Magee's Story of Philosophy this year. I remember making sure I picked the correct one.

I have them. Apparently they're not in my library software, because it didn't pull up. I think there are 8 volumes. They're pretty thick reading, but I guess you figured that out from your one. My step-father, who works in a museum and lectures on history regularly, first read them in college and uses them incessantly to prepare speeches. So yes, they'd be fine for you. I've *wondered* if they'll work with dd in high school, but I don't know. I picked them up at a yard sale, the whole box, and have been holding them. I don't touch history like that because, well, I like my brain and don't want to see blood oozing out of it with the attempt. :)

Hmph, I just checked amazon. It says there are 11 volumes. http://www.amazon.com/Story-Civilization-11-Set/dp/1567310230/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316667378&sr=8-1 The reviews list the titles, so you can sort it out for yourself.

BTW, it says in one of the reviews that there's an audio recording of it...

11 volumes, that could keep me busy for a while. :D

They are a bit out of date with .... political correctness. YMMV.

Would you care to expound on that? You can PM me if you'd rather. I'd be interested if the views were a reflection of the time, or if the views permeate further into the text.

I love them. I've always been a fan of his. They are of course dated in spots, but they are very complete and well-written. They have been too much for dd to use regulary, but we use them as reference materials for her.

Thanks, that would be probably how we'd use them as well. I'm trying to build a library collection so ds can learn how to reference several books on a topic, not just run to the internet.