Menu

Any tips on food and household items storage in a small home?

hsmom

We have a small 2 bedroom 1 bath home. That is about 900sq ft. No basement, no attic. Eat in kitchen, laundry area serves as a mud room with the hot water heater and animal products. No hall closets, pantry or anything. So any ideas on where and how to store large amounts of food and household products?

I use to store some canned and dried goods on the shelf above my washer and dryer. Im not sure if thats good for long term, but it worked out well for us. Another idea is to get one of those "under bed" totes and put your food in those. I would only recommend that for well sealed, like canned foods. That would be a good place to store extra toilet paper and the like as well. For flour and sugar you can get large buckets with lids to seal it in. I use to have one in a pretty blue. Since I had no where to put it but in the middle of the floor, I made sure it was a pretty color. ;) If you have three of them or more, you can always put them in front of your couch, and cover with a peice of wood or sturdy cardboard on top, cover it with a pretty cloth and you have storage and a coffee table.

What about using countertops? You could buy an assortment of those glass containers with stainless tops (air-tight, stackable) and store dried goods, teas, etc on the countertop in those.

In use already with a dehydrator, KA, blender, toaster oven, food processor, and coffee pot. Then I have the bread machine, electric skillet, etc on top of the fridge and freezer.

I might just have to build some shelves.

Maybe go UP with shelving units. We have some cheap plastic ones from Menards and cover them with cheap sheets from thrift stores. We even have a room lined with those shelves.

We have more square footage, but wasted space... don't need this big a living room, etc. I need more storage units (that are in disguise as coffee tables or sofa tables, etc.)

We all have sleeping bags and they take up SO much room!

It's tough, isn't it?:grouphug:

• 1 month later...

We're moving from 1800 sf plus a full basement, to 1100 sf with no basement or attic. So we're in a bit of a panic as well.

We just bit the bullet and bought a conex box to put on the property and will be building shelves and other storage fixtures in it.

We store a LOT of food (we're preppers) and have a ton of "stuff" as well. We also are musicians so that equipment is very bulky too.

For us it made sense; the conex is 40x8 and cost us $3,900 delivered.

Not for everyone, and certainly not for every neighborhood but we're moving to a rural area with acreage.