Menu

My foot fell asleep while I was running this morning.

Actually, I'm not sure you would call it falling asleep. It felt more like the tingling you get when your foot is waking back up after falling asleep. I always had feeling in the foot, but the last 10 minutes or so it was tingling. Very odd.

Any ideas on what could have caused this? I've had toes go numb while running and it was suggested that maybe my shoes were laced too tight. I'll also point out that today's run was not good. My legs were heavy and I was slow.

I don't know what caused it but I can tell you that tingling indicates nerve issues (pressure on, damage to, etc.). Given you were running when it happened (vs. had the leg funny putting pressure on a nerve) and you've had numb toes too I'd see a doctor. You want to know what's going on with those nerves. It might be as simple as a deficiency but you want to know.

I googled it after posting this here and found that it's not that uncommon with runners, and it is caused by compressing a nerve in the foot while running. It's usually caused by shoes that are too tight, or laced too tightly. I need new shoes anyway, so I think I'll look into that. If that doesn't help the problem, I will definitely see a doctor.

Thanks!

I have absolutely had this happen. I usually relace or replace my shoes. For me, it is usually shoes that are too tightly laced, though when I first started running, my shoes were too small, and it happened more then. I wear at least full size larger in running shoes than street shoes, which I think is pretty common. I don't even try on street shoes--there has never been a 7.5 that doesn't fit, but I wear either an 8.5 or 9 in running shoes.

Do you have a good running store near you? If so, definitely get their input on what shoe you should be wearing.

Terri

I have absolutely had this happen. I usually relace or replace my shoes. For me, it is usually shoes that are too tightly laced, though when I first started running, my shoes were too small, and it happened more then. I wear at least full size larger in running shoes than street shoes, which I think is pretty common. I don't even try on street shoes--there has never been a 7.5 that doesn't fit, but I wear either an 8.5 or 9 in running shoes.

Do you have a good running store near you? If so, definitely get their input on what shoe you should be wearing.

Terri

Exactly! Go get fitted at a running store. All of my shoes are a 7.5. My running shoes are a 9, and they fit perfectly.

I had this happen too, and although I think the most common reason is a compressed nerve (that was my problem too), another serious possibility is diabetes. If you have any reason to suspect that might be the problem, you should see your doctor to get checked.

I'm not having any symptoms, but I did have gestational diabetes, and there's a lot of Type II in my family. I'll definitely keep this in mind.