Menu

Reading Comprehension - First Grader

hsmom2011

I don't know that that's a reading comprehension issue; it seems like more of a lack of narration practice. Are you using a writing curriculum that will provide narration practice? If your daughter is in first grade, she'd be at Level 1 of WWE, and that starts with reading a single paragraph, not a whole page, to the student then asking questions. As they improve their narration skills the passages get longer.

I don't know that that's a reading comprehension issue; it seems like more of a lack of narration practice. Are you using a writing curriculum that will provide narration practice? If your daughter is in first grade, she'd be at Level 1 of WWE, and that starts with reading a single paragraph, not a whole page, to the student then asking questions. As they improve their narration skills the passages get longer.

:iagree:

Ask her questions. My first grader cannot narrate back to me very well. He is getting better. He can give me 3-4 sentences about a 7 page chapter in a Magic Tree House book. That is a huge improvement over a few months ago. We have worked on it with SOTW. I read, I ask questions, he answers and then fills in everything I did not ask about. :) If I just ask him to tell me what he heard, I get very little.

We are using IEW PAL and they have a story sequence chart we go through after the story. For other books I will ask questions and he will answer them, if he does struggle I will give him a start up for him to continue on with. I think at this age sometimes his recall is better than his true comprehension. We just talk a lot know that one day it will begin to click. Right now I wouldn't expect too much from comprehension and more from what they can remember :)

I need something to help my 1st grader with reading comprehension. She is an excellent reader, but when I ask her to tell the story back to me I get a lot of um uh, um uh and she can't really come up with anything. I also read short (1 page) stories to her, and ask questions at the end. She may answer one correctly, and then she will just make up answers.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Read a paragraph at a time instead of a page. If you have to, read a sentence at a time. It sounds like she isn't attending to the reading and you have to teach her that you *really *do *expect that she can narrate back.

Can she do it if she reads it on her own? What if it is a story that she chose/likes/ wants to read?

You could also try doing some "pre reading" activites that access her prior knowlege about a subject. Example: "Hmmm.. This story is about snow. Do you like the snow? Do you remember last Christmas when you build a snowman? Weren't there a lot of snowflakes? Is there anything else you would like to know about snow?" Then read the story.