Menu

Really Struggling with this... help please

Emagine

My DS will be 9 on Friday. With his bday if he started school in NC he would be in the 3rd. However, we moved here and he was a grade level above due to age - not level of work. He was in Special Needs Classes.

I pulled him 2009 in Oct, admit I had a hard time for over a year trying to find how he learns and what to use. I was at square one with a child that was hardly paid attention to in PS. Thus, already 1-2 years behind depending how you view it.

This year I finally feel the 'it factor' in what were doing. We have electives like everyone else but they fit with in our sons means. Our main focus is playing catch up. Last year I tested him 2nd grade at the end of the year, fair grades. Not great, not poor. But I knew in my heart it was past events and time against us.

So this year, he is more aware of his age and growing up. How sad am I, I am one who dislikes my babies growing so fast lol. I pretty much have him still doing grade 2 LA and Math, Lower levels of AAS. It is the retention that gets us and we just go a tad slower. History, Science and other things are fun but they are not the main focus of every single day. KWIM?

I know it is early to be playing the testing nightmare but I also know where my child sits. He might reach 1/4th of the way into 3rd math or better, same with LA. He does work good and is trying, seems more mature in his work ability this year. But do I test him at a 2nd grade level again?

I do not know why this bugs me. I guess because we have worked so hard to overcome what the outcome of Special Needs Classes did to us. We lost precious time, a lot if it. Time I know we can make up but I also know he is becoming his own self a tad more and becoming more aware.

We are in NC so I have to test. While I am very hopeful this is our year to overcome because of his growth level with in himself and my coming to terms as how and what he needs more so than ever, I am just stuck in the middle till I get over that hump.

Advice would be great, your own story would be warmth as well. I suppose we, as moms, just really want our kids to fit in a bit more.

Thanks.

Sounds similar to my oldest. The local school refused to acknowledge his dyslexia - which I suspected when he got to 2nd grade. They kept telling me it was because of his autism. (My two other Aspies read fine). We pulled him out around the end of 4th grade. I spent a year trying to remediate him at home while we saved up to have him tested. Finally we broke down and scrimped to get him a tutor. In a little over a year she has him reading on grade level - more slowly than a regular 9th grader but still.... He has processing issues that are never going to go away.

I use the CAT 5 survey from Seton testing. He's done well with that and it fits the NC requirements. I have no other use for it other than satisfying the legal requirement as they have therapists and I pretty much know where they are and don't need a test to tell me.

Also in NC the test is just to file. They can't revoke your right to homeschool based on the results and you don't have to test for grade 9 just because chronologically your child would be in 9th grade. You can use whatever year you'd like for testing.

They never would put our kids in self contained classrooms despite our repeated requests. They were mainstreamed and suffered for it.

Hope this helps. :grouphug:

There is some test ... the Woodstock-Johnson? Can someone correct please? :lol: It's something like that ... that doesn't test a certain grade level from what I understand. The child takes it and it will tell what level he's up to in the individual subject (NC only requires math and english but you can test more than that if you want). I have a friend that administers this test but my own children aren't old enough yet so my discussions with him about it have been limited. Perhaps that would make it easier though instead of having to pick a grade to test at.

eta: it's the Woodcock-Johnson. I decided to not be lazy and actually look it up.:blush:

Edited by SCGS

I don't know if it would satisfy testing requirements in NC, but I'd recommend the Peabody. It's a nationally norm referenced test (and meets the requirements here in MN), but it's done orally. It also provides raw scores and grade level equivalents in each subtest, so you're not taking a specific grade level of test.

You test him at his official grade level.

Standardized tests compare children with the normed group of approximately the same age/grade level. Some children in that normed group were working above grade level, some below, and at different grade levels in different subjects. Some of them tested well, some didn't. Their scores were all averaged and became the norm.

Your ds will be compared with that normed group. If you give him a test a grade level below his own, then it isn't a fair comparison, is it?

The purpose of a standardized test isn't to show how much a child knows or doesn't know. It is to compare him with the normed group. *You* know how much he learned or didn't. You don't need test scores. You're just complying with the NC law, so does it really matter? Especially since (1) you don't have to submit those test scores, and (2) there is no requirement for children to score at any specific level. Just give him the 3rd grade test and call it a day. :-)

(((Hugs)))

First, I have to say that I LOVE this quote in your signature: "The difference between high-functioning and low-functioning is that high-functioning means your deficits are ignored, and low- functioning means your assets are ignored." - Laura Tisoncik

That could be applied to all kinds of learning disabilities. wow.

Second...It's tough when you have to test, and sometimes it feels like a sock in the gut when you get it back. If you have any other option (portfolio etc...), that might be worth considering. Also, does your son have an IEP from when he was in school? If he does, he can get accommodations for some tests. If not, does your state allow the Hewitt PASS test as one choice? That allows you to test at the child's level, and is also an untimed test--so it can be a better experience for the child (still was hard here).

If I can just encourage you though...while you may still be working to "narrow" that gap right now, you may see evidence of that over time. Try to view the tests as just a "starting point" rather than a judgement. They are a starting point in that there is much more value in seeing how he does on a test from year to year (does he improve, how does he score when compared to himself) than there is in seeing how he compares to other kids. As your quote hints at, his giftings may not get to be seen on something like a standardized test. Don't let that start to color your view of how you see him--don't label him with the grade level of work he is now doing, but look at progress over time, and remember his gifts.

Also remember: Testing doesn't show what your kids DO know and what they CAN do--it only reveals what they don't know. (And sometimes it doesn't even do that very well--I have one child who doesn't test well, can tell you all the info orally but just can't get it down on paper).

Finally, don't let testing "limit" your or his view of what he can do. When he's an adult, no one will care if he was a grade level or two behind at some point, what age he was when he learned to read, whether or not he struggled in spelling--all of these things that we get so caught up in thinking about just won't matter at all any more. Don't let them matter so much now either.

Most of the worrying I have done about whether my kids would catch up in certain areas was a huge waste of my time! They do.

Merry :-)

TY for the replies.

I have never looked into many of the tests but I did the CAT last year. I know this year I will look into some of the others. I went with it because it was suppose to be the easiest of the ones offered for NC. That part I consider myself new on and still learning.

The struggle for me comes with the fact I know what the testing is for. It is to compare as someone above mentioned. Also someone above mentions how fair is it to test below? One could ask the same about why I am here asking this in the first place. If only we had better care and did not slip behind to begin with then I would not be putting myself in such a sick feeling. But at the same time while I want him to catch up in his own time I know I would be doing a major issue towards him to give him a test and its well above his means just so he can be one of the fishes in the sea.

It is odd, I finally find me in this whole HS path. I mean that brick hit me head on and hard for many moons ago I would not have picked this road for us. But I feel whole now, it took me a while. It is who we are and my kids, mainly my soon to be big boy, teaches me and not the other way around. The good days are finally beginning to balance and in some weeks out weigh the bad ones and that is a big deal in this house.

He did have an IEP is PS. He was one of 8 in a classroom and it bombed out beyond control and he ended up with tons of issues that were not great. He was never in a norm group even in PS and would still not be if re-enrolled.

For me it is not as much as the struggle of making it the normal thing but what should I do for my son. They have him 4th grade level if he were in school because of our in state transfer. However he would be 3rd with his late bday if enrolled in NC to start. 2nd is where we sit for most. I just do not want to over step my bounds with what he knows when that time comes and go above his head if it is still the case. But I also question the what if's if I retest 2nd. To me I do not see it as a outcome of the child as a whole, I know where he is in what subject and area and why. I know as a mom what I need to do. I just hate the thought of am I going to do the right thing in the end all for silly little bubbles.

Sounds strange I know, but again - this is where I am still learning. It is good to know if I see testing him 3rd would put all of us in a meltdown then I will do 2nd. That is my gut, just learning the rules and such. KWIM?

Many thanks, :)

I second someone's suggestion for the Woodcock-Johnson for special needs dc. Instead of only comparing them to other kids their own age, it tells you where they are and then you can compare year to year to see the growth.

As for whether it is fair or not to give a lower level test - it is. In NC, students who are special needs enough to be in a self-contained classroom are given an "alternate assessment" that is at a much lower level than the tests given to mainstreamed kids. Giving a lower level standardized test to meet the law is perfectly acceptable for the same reasons - it isn't fair to give a student a test that is based on his chronological age as opposed to his mental age.

I am not familiar with the Woodcock-johnson. Is this one that we can give or do we pay someone else to do? I just know how he is about flipping out with ppl he does not know who want him to do things.

Anything else you can tell me about it? It has sparked my interest.

I am not familiar with the Woodcock-johnson. Is this one that we can give or do we pay someone else to do? I just know how he is about flipping out with ppl he does not know who want him to do things.

Anything else you can tell me about it? It has sparked my interest.

You have to pay someone else to do it. It is an individual achievement test rather than a group test and it gives you better grade equivalencies than a standard test.

The test covers all the standard reading, writing, spelling, math, etc.

SCGS,

Yes I am in Union County :) I know I have a ways to go before testing time and some maturity and such could change but I am always a step ahead of him with this stuff because I have had it to backfire lol.

He is not a test fan and can normally be combative.