Menu

I really want to learn redwork embroidery

I am not a sewer. Hand me a sewing machine and some cotton fabric and I can make you a quilt, but that's the extent of it. I don't sew by hand, with a machine or by hand. Period.

However, I so desperately want to learn hand embroidery. I have several books, but I'm just too intimidated to just pick it up and go. Does anyone here know of any websites or YouTube videos that can walk me through it? I literally need to start with, "This is a needle. The hole on this end is where the thread goes....".

Thanks!

Good gravy, that original message is a mess. Forgive me, please. I was distracted by pizza, dogs & children!

What I meant to say is: I can quilt, I can't sew (by hand or machine). I know many people don't realize there is a big difference, but there is! I'm intimidated by hand work.

Ok, better? I think. Maybe. :lol:

If you can quilt you're closer to embroidering then if you wsewed. :) Just pick up a good stitch guide and start exploring. Honestly, I started embroidery with a cheap little booklet on 50 stitches that came with a magazine and spent a lot of time practicing with floss on felt (nice and stiff - don't need a hoop).

If you can quilt you're closer to embroidering then if you wsewed. :) Just pick up a good stitch guide and start exploring. Honestly, I started embroidery with a cheap little booklet on 50 stitches that came with a magazine and spent a lot of time practicing with floss on felt (nice and stiff - don't need a hoop).

Ooohh, good idea! I have an entire bolt of muslin and was planning to use that with a hoop, but I just wasn't sure how tight I'd need to make it....

Get something like the A-Z of embroidery stitches. That's the book with the clearest pics and instruction, in my experience.

But if you want to start right now, learn split stitch. Get some fabric, put it into a hoop, if you have one. Thread a needle with something thread-like- embroidery cotton, the polyester stuff you use in your machine, wool, whatever. Tie the two ends of the thread together. Stick needle through fabric, pull, stick it back down somewhere else. Stick needle back up, half way through the stitch you just did, between the two threads. Stick needle back down through the fabric, and repeat. Commence refining your technique :D

Have you seen my embroidery in the monthly crafter challenge threads? That's done in split stitch and will do just nicely for your redwork.

:)

Rosie

PLAY.

Just get a bit of scrap fabric and some embroidery thread and some needles and PLAY. (There are blunt and sharp needles with big holes. I'd pick sharp for what you have in mind.)

Find a nice little booklet of embroidery stitches, and try them out.

Make a "sampler" - not for show, just to try out a few stitches.

REMEMBER - in colonial times, very young girls sewed with needle and thread. I can't be that hard, right?