Menu

Tell me about MEP math...

Gentlemommy

I'm currently using Miquon and it's working fantastically for us. However, I'd like to start planning for what to switch to next. I've heard a lot of positives about the MEP program and it's free so that's a huge plus as well. Is it enough to be a stand alone? Or is it more something to do in addition to another program (thinking about Singapore if MEP isn't enough)? Does it provide a good text for teachers, or is it more just workbook type pages for the kids to work through? Would it work for a whole to parts kid? Should I print off the year 1 level and start doing that in addition to Miquon so she gets used to this method? Would she be able to go from Miquon only to MEP only? Sorry for all the questions...:tongue_smilie: Thanks!

Is it enough to be a stand alone?

Yes,it can stand alone.

Or is it more something to do in addition to another program (thinking about Singapore if MEP isn't enough)?

Many do this as well, one could skip the teacher guide activities and have a fun little reinforcment.

Does it provide a good text for teachers, or is it more just workbook type pages for the kids to work through?

It is a good lesson plan. I've printed and bound them, and as I work through it I've been highlighting the main idea. Some ideas are obviously for groups, but you can modify, skip, grab a sibling (or even a stuffed animal). I highly recommend if you go stand-alone USE the lesson plans.

Would it work for a whole to parts kid?

Hmm - meaning start with the big picture and figure it out? Sure. There are a lot of "find the pattern/write the rule" type puzzles, also "color the (x number) of beads in a chain using (colors) and make sure each is different" type problems.

Should I print off the year 1 level and start doing that in addition to Miquon so she gets used to this method? Would she be able to go from Miquon only to MEP only?

I think either is fine. It's my first year adding Miquon, so I am planning to run them concurrently. For my 5 yo, Miquon is primary as MEP R is short. For 1st I haven't decided yet. You might run the MEP along side for a bit, doing the worksheet (if its not to much writing) and only the most-relevent activities from the lesson plans.

Hope that helps!

Some ideas are obviously for groups, but you can modify, skip, grab a sibling (or even a stuffed animal).
:iagree:

It's also good to remember that a child is not expected to be able to do all the group activities (clearly labelled) without help, which can come from the parent/teacher, sibling or stuffed animal.

:iagree:

It's also good to remember that a child is not expected to be able to do all the group activities (clearly labelled) without help, which can come from the parent/teacher, sibling or stuffed animal.

Ah, yes. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to read the whole lesson plan, so that I would notice the occasional label like "Extra challenge extension for abler students." The lesson plans also give a good sense of how much help kids are expected to need on a particular section.