Menu

out of lurking with a history question

I was wondering if anyone has put together a history course that doesn't use a main spine. I would really like to just use biographies and other trade books. I know people have used books like A History of the World in Six Glasses as a spine, but I don't want to use any spine - just topical books. Is this feasible? Does it even make sense?

To give some background, my kids know their history fairly well and I thought this would allow us to go deeper. We usually follow the WTM suggestions and I'm not really interested in any pre-planned curriculum like Sonlight or Beautiful Feet. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has done this on their own and has any suggestions for me.

Sorry if this is incoherent. This posting stuff is new to me.:)

I have not done this, but I've considered doing it. My reason for not doing it is that my oldest went to public school for most of middle school and had no history during this time. (Surprisingly, he did get a great foundation in world geography.) But, if he had a more solid background in history, I had wanted to just pick a period of time that he enjoys (like Medieval history or the Renaissance) and just spend all year studying that time period through lots of nonfiction, historical fiction, biographies, movies, etc. I think it's perfectly doable as long as you have a solid plan to go deep rather than wide and have relevant assignments (essays, creative writing, projects, etc.).

I really think this is what homeschooling is all about -- having the flexibility to do what works for your kids and learning about something for the joy of it rather than just to check it off a list as done. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response. I don't have a concrete plan just some book ideas. I started thinking about this last year after my daughter read David Howarth's 1066. She really enjoyed it and seemed to have a greater enthusiasm when discussing the time period. She was also able to discuss on a much deeper level.

This year we need to cover the early modern period. I bought Birdall Viault's Modern European History and thought I could use the first 20 chapters as an outline for what I need to cover. I guess I would need some type of outline for American history, too.

The main problem is there are so many wonderful books and only 36 weeks in our school year. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone have any book suggestions?

A lot of homeschoolers in my city are very relaxed and allow their high schoolers to delve into topics of interest for history. Some might study fashion through the ages, or weapons. Others might delve into a particular period of interest. They still do the reading, and produce the work (reports, displays, etc.). It makes for an interesting display night at the end of the year.

If you're really going down rabbit trails, then I don't see how anyone could advise you as to books until they know which trails you'll be on :) Beautiful Feet is probably the most literature-focused history I can think of, if you want a game plan. I know you said you didn't want to use BF, but you did say you'd need an American History outline -- and BF is very cheap. They also carry some good books like the Marrin series for modern times.

It's good your kids have a strong history background, but keep an eye out for what they've forgotten along the way, as it might surprise you, depending on the kid.

Julie

Our oldest, now a junior at UNC, did history that way. I am cutting and pasting from a blog post of mine from 3 years ago that list some of the things he read for world history. Somewhere there is a list of books he read for American, heavy on biographies and David McCullough. I think it is a lovely way to go for someone who enjoys reading history. He also listened to some Teaching Company courses and read literature to match the appropriate time periods.

History Readings

Selections from Herodotus, Livy and Tacitus

Byzantium: The Early Centuries by John Julius Norwich

Life in a Medieval Village by Frances and Joseph Gies

A World Lit Only by Fire: The Medieval Mind and the Renaissance: Portrait of an Age by William Manchester

Life Along the Silk Road by Susan Whitfield

The Last Knight: The Twilight of the Middle Ages and the Birth of the Modern Age

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild

A History of Russia by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky

Stalin: Russia's Man of Steel by Albert Marrin

Mao Tse-Tung and his China by Albert Marrin

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam by Martin Windrow

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins

Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

Good luck.

Ruth in NC

I was wondering if anyone has put together a history course that doesn't use a main spine. I would really like to just use biographies and other trade books. I know people have used books like A History of the World in Six Glasses as a spine, but I don't want to use any spine - just topical books. Is this feasible? Does it even make sense?

To give some background, my kids know their history fairly well and I thought this would allow us to go deeper. We usually follow the WTM suggestions and I'm not really interested in any pre-planned curriculum like Sonlight or Beautiful Feet. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has done this on their own and has any suggestions for me.

Sorry if this is incoherent. This posting stuff is new to me.:)

Not incoherent at all! If it's US history you're interested in, Marvin Olasky made a booklist/plan of the sort you're describing. DS enjoyed it immensely. However, I think you have to be subscribed to view the article. I'm linking it here just in case you are subscribed or are interested.

Ruth, this list is great; it is exactly what I was looking for.

Luann and Oh Elizabeth, thanks for the link. I'll be printing this article.

Greta, Ambleside is a wonderful resource and I use it quite a lot. Unfortunately, the selections are very English centered.

Thanks ladies, you have given me lots to think about. :)

This is from our American History list. Not as much David McCullough as I thought.

Have fun.

Ruth in NC

Readings

• The Declaration of Independence

• Constitution of the United States

• The Federalist Papers

• The Meaning of the Constitution by Angel R. Holder

• Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis

• American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis

• Old Hickory: Andrew Jackson and the American People by Albert Marrin

• Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin

• The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough

• The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax

• The Good War: An Oral History of World War Two by Studs Terkel

• Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by H. W. Brands

• The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X, Alex Haley and Paul Gilroy

• America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger by Albert Marrin