Menu

Computer creeps along. . .help?

Ipsey

My laptop is apparently turning into a fossil, but I don't know how to fix it.

It's not terribly old.

I have a bunch of icons in my toolbar, which apparently means these programs start when I boot up (it takes about 7 minutes for my computer to boot fully, and if I try to turn in the internet before it's fully happy with me, it Blue Screens me and flips off. It's done this 4 times in the last 4 days.

Should I just save what I can and wipe everything else off?

I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Any place you suggest for teaching me how to actually wipe my computer clean?

Thanks!

What operating system do you have?

You need to do 3 things:

1. Uninstall the programs that you don't need through the uninstall feature in the control panel

2. Remove programs that you don't need from the startup folder.

3. Download avast! and run it, restart, run it again until it doesn't find anything.

If you have no idea what I am saying, then *do not* do anything yourself, pay the $100 for the geek squad to clean it off for you.

What operating system do you have?

You need to do 3 things:

1. Uninstall the programs that you don't need through the uninstall feature in the control panel

2. Remove programs that you don't need from the startup folder.

3. Download avast! and run it, restart, run it again until it doesn't find anything.

If you have no idea what I am saying, then *do not* do anything yourself, pay the $100 for the geek squad to clean it off for you.

I can do all of that! I have Avast.

I'll go ahead and go after the programs first.

Then, I'll rumage through the start-up folder.

Thanks!

I recently brought in my computer because I was having a similar problem. I was convinced that it was a virus.

Nope

They told me that my laptop's memory was almost completely filled and I needed to clear up some space. I moved my GIANT photo library, onto a separate hard drive and it is now working much better.

Just something else to try.

I recently brought in my computer because I was having a similar problem. I was convinced that it was a virus.

Nope

They told me that my laptop's memory was almost completely filled and I needed to clear up some space. I moved my GIANT photo library, onto a separate hard drive and it is now working much better.

Ahh, I might do that.

I have an exterior drive that's been wonkey. Maybe I should just buy a new one, just in case.

Thanks!

Nope

I recently bought one of those exterior hard drives and it copied all the files from my laptop. I'm scared to delete anything from my laptop though! The hard drive I bought seems to act more like a backup. Can I really delete the files from my computer now? My computer keeps telling me that the memory is full and wants to close Firefox. Sorry, can't do that!

If you're nervous about deleting it off your laptop, buy a SECOND hard drive. Use one for extra space and one as a back up. If all your kids photos are on there, it's not a bad idea anyway. Hard drives do eventually die too.

Yes :iagree: I have two. It would be tragic to have all of your photos automatically deleted on the hard drive the next time you run your backup.

BTW, please ignore the odd punctuation in my previous post. :tongue_smilie: