Menu

I have a new found passion for teaching my children to follow written instructions

We went out of town to my grandmother's memorial this weekend, leaving our labrador behind. We asked a young man from our church to house sit. He had a long work day on Saturday, so we asked dd's friend to come over around dinner time to help. I had verbal conversations with both of them, going over all of the instructions. I then typed out EVERYTHING and taped the instructions right in front of the front door.

On Sat, the dog was to be left outside from 1pm until 6pm, when dd's friend came over. Friend was supposed to feed dog and then leave him in the house. Friend left dog outside. He barks pretty much constantly once the sun goes down. I come back from the memorial to multiple facebook messages from my neighbors. By then it's 10pm (the young man is due home around 11). I call friend's mom and she graciously goes back to my house and lets dog in.

Instructions for the next day are to leave dog in house when young man goes to church. He leaves dog out- at 7am. I believe dog is super strung out from the night before and starts barking. More messages, including texts and phone calls. I have to call another friend to run to my house and let dog in.

Finally, yesterday I text young man and ask him to leave my house key in my box at church, because I need it. I go to church, no house key. I text him, and he has left it in my husband's box.

I appreciated the help that these 2 young people were willing to give to my for my family, but I cannot tell you how much stress it added to an already stressful weekend. All they needed to do was READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!