Menu

SOTW 1 for 1st grade

Lisa R

We've started SOTW1 with our first grader and it seems to be over her head. She's very bright but can't remember much after we've read. There are some pretty big concepts for her. Should we continue and let her get what she gets or wait a year or two?

Thanks,

Lisa

Think a little about what your goals are - are you shooting for memorization and recall on each of the subjects? or do you want to give her a passing familiarity with the topics, knowing that you will revisit them two more times (assuming you stay with the 4 year history cycle)?

I don't know if you do an other of the Wise/Bauer curricula, but one of their tenets is that narration is a learned skill, and practice and examples will result in steady improvement (although results may vary :)) I wouldn't be at all concerned about leading a first grader through the process with questions, re-reading parts of the section and helping to rephrase answers if needed.

All that said, you've got to do what works for you!

How are you doing it? I read aloud to my first grader, I stop a few times and ask questions during the reading. Then I either have him tell me what he remembers or I guide his with questions. I use some from the activity guide and some of my own.

We discuss it, we look at maps of the areas discussed. We look at pictures on the internet and in the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. We read a section Monday, a section Wednesday; and then on Friday, we do the test as a worksheet and we do a lapbook piece from this blog. I have some fun books we look at and read as they match up with the topics as well. The whole thing takes no more than 30 minutes in a day. Some days, as little as 10. He is actually remembering a lot more than I expected!

Don't expect total recall. Go for a little bit of a timeline (what order things happened in, not dates) and a few important names. Make flashcards or use the cards in the Activity Guide and review weekly. The key is to review the material. The more you talk about it spread over a few days, the more she will remember.

We are there with you. I was just complaining to myself about this very thing. We are on chapter 4, and so far, little retention. While her memorizing facts and major retention is certainly not my goal at this age, some retention would be nice :tongue_smilie: We are doing a project a week as well and while my dc LOVE them, I am not sure they are getting anything out of them, and honestly? (I hate projects) :glare:

We plan to give it more time, I do hope it gets better for us! (and for you!!!)

Thanks everyone! I am reading just one section at a time. We are alternating history and science...history one week and science the next. I guess for now I'm just looking for some exposure. I think we'll just keep plugging along and see what happens.

One more question? How long did you take to finish the book with it having 42 chapters? I wish it was just 36 and then it would be so easy to just do one chapter per week.

Lisa

I think if you do one section per day, 3 days a week, you can finish in 36 weeks. I know you can with SOTW2 at least, and think SOTW1 is the same. That said, I school year round, so I have more weeks in which to complete the book. :D We started SOTW1 in January, and will finish it up pretty soon. We're doing chapter 39 this week, and DS is flying through it now (he LOVES it). I need to finish looking up SOTW2 books at my library and making my lessons plans! Eek! :001_huh:

Oh, and we rarely do projects. I have no guilt about that. I mostly get library books, and we do the map work and narration.

Well, in our house it is the "extras" that build the retention. We read the suggested picture books while waiting in doctor's offices (we do a lot of therapy/allergy shots) or at night and do a project on Friday afternoons. I know not everyone likes to do the projects but the extra books & projects are really where I see the retention and extrapolation occur across subjects.

I'm wondering if by alternating weeks, you are actually causing her to forget? A week can be a long time in the life of a little person. Maybe alternating days for science/history would be better?

Expose your child with the SOTW readings but re-expose with library books to look at and some to read. Get the SOTW activity book, it has color pictures, map work and ideas for books and activities. It is the re-exposure that brings it together for my dd. Also as we do activities or look at books I will remind dd about what we read.

I have a 5yr old ds who wanted in on SOTW1. He doesn't get so much from the SOTW text; he still needs visual reinforcement, so I read the corresponding pages in Usborne Book of World History with him. He loves to talk about the pictures and asks lots of questions. He also likes to colour and we choose one craft project each week. History is his favourite subject.:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

My kids eat history. Really... it's their favorite subject. They always loved it and now we're teaching it "for real". :)

In the weekends, I translate the stories into Dutch for them. English isn't a strange language for them and they understand more than I already thought, but the history-words are not the same as the spoken language I used this far. I do use the original English stories to teach them English. So we use both (and do 2 subjects in 1).

After getting through the story, the youngest two have a draw-assignment. They have to make a drawing about what we just read. My oldest (grade 1) has her narration assignment.

The narration part is still difficult for her. She's not a "language-child", she's a "math-child" and you really notice that difference. Her 5yo sister is more into languages and mostly helps her out instead of me.:tongue_smilie:

But I also see that after 3 weeks (and having a narration assignment 5 days a week for "reading" and 2 times a week for history) she gets better at it.

So in my opinion, it's practice, practice and more practice.

We also read library books, look for information on the internet, enjoy making a lapbook en use the weekend to do craft projects around it. Like I said, it's their favorite subject... and with a 3yo and 5yo, craft projects are the way to go! The craft projects are mostly "daddy-time". ;) He loves crafting and drawing and I just hate it :p so problem solved!

Edited by Tapasnaturalles