Menu

Recommend a movie for ages 6-11?

There are three kids in my family with birthdays the same month. I was thinking of renting out a movie theater and having a joint party, especially since many of their friends overlap (same families, similar ages, etc.)

The youngest kid will be turning six, and the oldest will be turning 11.

Is there a good movie that would be interesting to that age span? I'm thinking rated G, PG, or documentary. All of the other kids are regular movie goers, and have seen movies and shows with little -if any- regard for content, ratings - they see whatever is out, or current. I'd be the only one more concerned, and I'm pretty laid-back about most things in the media.

I'm not a big movie person, and really have no clue what's out there. We don't watch much tv or many movies. I have the option of a currently running movie, or bringing in my own DVD.

I'd really love some direction from people in the movie know :001_smile:.

DOLPHIN TALE!

We just saw it this weekend (got free screening passes.) it was awesome. Funny parts, sad parts, happy ending. No bad language, no kissing, nothing inappropriate. One scene made the girls a teensy bit scared was a hurricane scene, but it was over pretty quickly. My daughter and her friend just loved the movie. Even my husband and I enjoyed it. I think it opens this week.

Edited by Sushi's Mom

DOLPHIN TALE!

We just saw it this weekend (got free screening passes.) it was awesome. Funny parts' date=' sad parts, happy ending. No bad language, no kissing, nothing inappropriate. One scene made the girls a teensy bit scared was a hurricane scene, but it was over pretty quickly. My daughter and her friend just loved the movie. Even my husband and I enjoyed it. I think it opens this week.[/quote']

We saw it this weekend too! It was fantastic. The whole family loved it - ages 5 to 38.

It's mixed gender, younger girl with older boys.

Apparently I need to look into this Dolphin Tale :lol: thanks for the recommendations!

My daughter wanted to see Mr. Popper's Penguins, but I had heard it wasn't anything like the book (which she loved) so we passed on it. Maybe we'll see it after all if it's still a good movie - thanks!

Yes, it can be a movie not currently in theaters so long as I can buy/find a DVD to bring in. Star Wars would work, even my daughter likes it. It's one of the very few movies we have at home and watch ad naseum. I wasn't sure if too many kids had seen it too many times or not, but now that I reconsider -- the big screen would be a huge difference and since that movie came out when I was a kid I bet it'd be pretty cool for the kids today to see in the theater.

I did some googling on top kids' movies.

Any thoughts on Pee Wee Herman, Princess Bride, E.T., or Ghostbusters (in case the theater won't be screening Dolphin Tale and I end up bringing in my own DVD) ....?

It's mixed gender, younger girl with older boys.

Apparently I need to look into this Dolphin Tale :lol: thanks for the recommendations!

My daughter wanted to see Mr. Popper's Penguins, but I had heard it wasn't anything like the book (which she loved) so we passed on it. Maybe we'll see it after all if it's still a good movie - thanks!

Yes, it can be a movie not currently in theaters so long as I can buy/find a DVD to bring in. Star Wars would work, even my daughter likes it. It's one of the very few movies we have at home and watch ad naseum. I wasn't sure if too many kids had seen it too many times or not, but now that I reconsider -- the big screen would be a huge difference and since that movie came out when I was a kid I bet it'd be pretty cool for the kids today to see in the theater.

I did some googling on top kids' movies.

Any thoughts on Pee Wee Herman, Princess Bride, E.T., or Ghostbusters (in case the theater won't be screening Dolphin Tale and I end up bringing in my own DVD) ....?

I adore Princess Bride, that would be a great choice.

Ghostbusters is my all time favorite movie but I will warn you that there is some language in there and a few racy scenes. The racy scenes go right over the head of my seven year old but I cringed the first time I watched it with her. I'd recommend you preview that one yourself first. Might be okay. I let my kid watch it.

DOLPHIN TALE!

We just saw it this weekend (got free screening passes.) it was awesome. Funny parts' date=' sad parts, happy ending. No bad language, no kissing, nothing inappropriate. One scene made the girls a teensy bit scared was a hurricane scene, but it was over pretty quickly. My daughter and her friend just loved the movie. Even my husband and I enjoyed it. I think it opens this week.[/quote']

Yes my family saw this over the weekend as well. Ita.