Menu

May be pulling 10th grade dd out of school soon. Need a little bit of help.

I know this may seem odd to ask since I've graduated one kiddo already but....here goes...

My second dsd is now living with us. We put her in PS for three reasons.

1) If it ain't broke don't fix it. She's an excellent student and enrolled this school year for four AP classes.

2) By the time my oldest was this age, much of her school work was done outside of home anyway (coops/dual credit) so I didn't see the harm in her being in PS now. I just anticipated that I'd be involved so that I could sprinkle a little "salt & pepper" where she needed a different perspective than the one she was receiving in school.

3) My husband didn't want to put more on me. With three boys 8, 6, & 2.5, he figured that going full steam with another teenager might have been too much for me to handle.

3) Her Mom probably wouldn't go for homeschooling. Well she might but it was a battle that my husband didn't feel needed to be drummed up.

But, three weeks into the school year, she asked me this morning about the possibility and then asked her Dad.

She is swamped. She leaves at 7:15 am and gets home at 5pm. Then has hours of homework. I feel bad for her. It's been a long time since I've seen the amount of work required of a teenager all day every day.

I remember being concerned when I pulled my oldest out of school in the 6th grade, but we still had quite a bit of time.

I'm trying to figure out if we pull this child out, where would I start and make sure that I'm maxing out her academic abilities. She's really smart and I don't want to short change her in anyway academically.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the time with her would be precious and a long-time-coming. My husband travels a lot and she would really benefit from spending more time with him when he is available.

So I'm not needing to be convinced of the benefits of homeschooling her - just the starting point because she's so far into the process of "school" already. I'm thinking about academic placement and such, options for curriculum that will be good for her and good for me!

Her dad and I have been married for 10 years and she will be 16 this fall. I have been in her life a long time but living full time with her is still an adjustment as it would be anytime the dynamics of a household change. She's really a good kid. We are learning each other more and more but overall she is really a good kid.

So...what are your words of wisdom. Any of you started so late in the game? What did you do?

Thanks in advance!

~Chrystal in TX~

She would be doing most of her work alone so you would still have plenty of time with the other children. She can stay in her math level, same science, and history if she's interested. I would look at some of the colleges she might be interested in and make a rough plan through high school. She might also want to take some classes on line or at a local college. It sounds like you are looking forward to it. Enjoy!

Same boat! My 10th grade dd told me last weekend she wanted to leave public school and come home. I wasn't expecting that. Had I known I would have been researching curriculum for the past year but instead I had to take a crash course in the past week!! It's stressful with so many choices but it's also a good thing to have choices. Good luck in your search and I am sure you will love this time with your daughter!

Thanks for your encouragement.

I guess I should add that because of her current load (4 AP classes) I don't feel nearly prepared for keeping her on an academically advanced track. I know about dual credit and CLEP. I know nothing about AP and how that all interwines with homeschooling in high school.

Would love if someone could tutor me on that as well. I'm online researching WTM boards but I've read lots of threads but still not getting the big picture of how I set her up academically. I had a artist the first go round. We got her "through" the academics and spent a lot of time on her skills. It's paid off for her direction in life. Not so sure how to deal with an academically advanced child. Every kiddo is different right! :)

My daughter was also in the AP classes. I've discovered that you can take AP classes online through PA Homeschoolers. There are other places as well if you google it or others will chime in who know more than me. Unfortunately, I missed the registration deadline for this semester to do "official" AP classes. I think next year we will most likely put her in an AP class online but regardless she will study for the AP exam and take it.

I think I would agree to homeschool her but would ask her to wait for the end of the semester to come home. That would give you almost 3 months to go over her transcripts and school records to see what credits she has, find outside classes to enroll her in for the second semester (AP through PA homeschoolers, etc) and deal with any issues you run into with her mother (though at 16 I would think she would have a fair amount of say inthe matter).

It seems like it would really benefit your family relationships to have her home as well as reducing her stress level through the last 18 months until college.

Hi Chrystal!

I'm chiming in late, but had a thought I wanted to share. College Plus is a way for her to get credit for high school courses as well as credit for college. She can do it without outside help, but it is more work for the both of you to plan it all out. Especially since you have to be careful with cleps since not all colleges accept all of the tests. We are just now looking into it as a possibility, so I don't know all of the ins and outs, but our friends LOVE it. College Plus has walked their dd through the process of having a plan... which courses to take for dual credit and her degree.... which courses she can clep....which she needs to take on line, etc. She will graduate in May at 19 with a degree and some of it was done while in high-school, so she received dual credit. An option especially since she is smart and motivated to excel. She can also set the pace, so she doesn't have to get burned out and can spend time with her dad and family. I think our friend was able to do it all for about $12,000........finish Highschool AND get a college degree by 19!